Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Work and Play

We are two days into the writing week. So far, I'm +5000 words! Already the week has been a success in my eyes.

Today we learned the benefits of having a reward to strive for. Peanut M&M's! Write 1000 words, get M&M's. It works!

Today's writing was smoother than yesterday's, because I took the time last night to 'compost' the scenes I'd be writing today. It made things easier when it came time to put words on the screen.

I was surprised, however, when my friend asked me to read a scene aloud how awkward it felt. This is a first draft, so there are holes, errors and rough patches. I noticed redundancies, clunky phrases, and lack of clarity. I have much to do on rewrites.

Tomorrow we'll be halfway through the week. I didn't know what a realistic goal for the week would be, but 10K words seems within reach. That would be so great.

We've planned another writing week before summer is over. Maybe by the time it rolls around, I'll be doing rewrites.

Erica

3 comments:

  1. How many words you write shouldn't be the focus. You chiseled out time from your other obligations to write. Pat yourself on the back and reach into that bag of M & M's for a large handful. Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie8:14 PM

    5,000 words is awesome, Erica! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna Alice6:42 PM

    Peanut M&M's huh? I'd say 10K is a tremendous goal to reach---7 weeks like that and you'd have a book! 5 weeks like that and I'd have a children's book--hey, maybe you have an idea there...Donna

    ReplyDelete