Thursday, July 20, 2006

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig...

What a wild, wild week. I met 23 new good friends at a western writer's round up in the Twin Cities. These friends are all fans of the 40 year old TV show, The Big Valley. We had a wonderful time. The whole crew of us took a Mississippi river boat brunch cruise with fabulous views and yummy food. We stayed up late playing games and watching episodes, and we laughed and laughed.

When I got home, I put my nose to the grindstone. Monday and Tuesday were spent on catching up on bookwork. The Bookkeeping Fairy didn't do anything while I was gone!

Yesterday and today, I spent the majority of both days writing. In the past two days, I've produced 8,243 words on the manuscript. A new record for productivity for me.

One thing I remembered from reading Karen Weisner's First Draft in 30 Days was the importance she put on 'composting' a story, always having one percolating. Think about the scenes you're going to write the next day. Don't sit down at your computer until you have at least a fair idea of what you want to accomplish.

After a week of not getting to write, I was bursting with scenes and ideas. I think that's why I was productive when I got back to it. My goal is to have a first draft completed in less than 10 days. My writing buddy and I have a writing week scheduled for the first week in August. I'd like to be in the editing stage by then.

The ms stands at 54K words right now. Another couple of days like I've just had and I'll be set.

Erica

1 comment:

  1. Donna Alice8:41 PM

    VERY GOOD on the word count. Just think how many books a year you could write if you did this every few days! LOL...
    I'm going to read the 30 days to a First Draft better. You seem to get quite a lot out of it and I haven't given it a fair chance yet.

    ReplyDelete