Thursday, August 10, 2006

Drafted!

The novel slid in at just over 73K words! Woohoo! I spent the afternoon adding the rest of my second draft pencil edits. I'm pretty happy with it overall. I sent it to my crit partners and will wait for their input before I look at it again.

I have a new novel composting in my brain. I've been thinking about this story for awhile, wondering when would be the right time to start it. I think I'm going to outline it thoroughly, do my 3.5 cards, then see how it feels.

Plotting is still a new animal to me. I wrote my first two novels Seat-of-the-Pants, with only the sketchiest idea where I was going or how to get there. Now I see the great advantages to outlining a story and knowing what comes next. I don't sit down to a blank screen and wonder what to do that day.

This next week I'll focus on editing Vicki's ms, and thinking about my proposal package for my own. Three weeks till the self-imposed deadline for submission to my agent.

Erica

3 comments:

  1. Lindabrit5:39 AM

    73k sounds a lot, but I don't really know how to gauge the length of novels. Do you know roughly how many pages that would amount to?

    Congratulations on reaching this important point in the process. You should be very proud of all your hard work.

    What happens now? Is there any more eiditng work still to do or is submission to the publisher next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Linda,
    73K words worked out to be about 250 pages of ms. I use one inch margins, 25 lines per page, and a size 12 New Times Roman font. Pretty much industry standard. The number of pages will vary depending on the number of chapter breaks you have, the amount of dialogue vs. prose you use, things like that. Word count is the most accurate way to guage the length.

    As to what is next, I'll let the ms sit until my readers and crit partners get back to me with it. I'm going to draft a proposal/synopsis for it in the next couple of weeks. Then, when it's all spit-shined and ready, I'll send it to my agent.

    Thanks for reading and commenting on the blog. :)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna Alice12:43 PM

    Hooray, another book done! Isn't that a terrific feeling? And already a sequel in mind...cool! Won't be long before we see your name on the cover of a book. I always KNEW you could do it, didn't I?? And I just love being right...

    ReplyDelete