Saturday, August 12, 2006

Editing and Pirates

I finished the pencil edits on my friend's ms. Hooray! What a rocketing good story she's woven. I can't wait to discuss the suggestions I made with her.

I also read a terrific ms from another friend. This one sucked me in from the get-go, and my husband had to drag me off the pc at 11:30...70 pages from the end! I had to exercise all my will-power to refrain from returning to reading it until after we'd finished school the next day. What a great story, and what great characters. I've not read such gifted dialogue in a long time. And her anti-hero...I couldn't decide how I felt about him...his motives were great (I think) but his methods...but he was also the only one in a position to be objective about the goings on in a group of teens who had been together for years. I think you're going to be hearing a lot from this author in the future.

Last night my husband took me out on a date, dinner and a movie. We saw "Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest". I have to say, this movie was loooooong, most of the time it was over the top, and it left me with a very unsatisfying ending. When it was all done, I felt manipulated, because you have to see the third movie in the series in order to answer all the questions posed by the second. Nothing was wrapped up in the second movie.

I know this is often the formula in trilogies. Consider Star Wars. The middle episode of the first trilogy is very dark and leaves you with so many questions. Or the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Two Towers leaves you in an awful spot. The battle for Middle Earth has just begun, Frodo and Sam have still not gotten the ring to Mordor, and the fall of the white city is imminent.

But how does this translate to books? This has been the subject of discussion on the ACFW loop for the past few days. It has been interesting to see everyone's take on the idea. As for me,I hate it when I buy a book and it leaves me with a cliffhanger ending that makes me wait six months to a year to find the answers to. I tend to wait until a series is completed before I buy it for that very reason. Series that I enjoy most tend to have books that could stand alone, but are bound together by location, or loose ties, such as a minor character in book one who becomes a major character in book two. I don't like it when the antagonist of one book becomes the hero of another. I've already decided to dislike the antagonist in book one, and I don't want to change my opinion for book two.

I started 'composting' the characters for the next novel. This one's going to take a lot of research, but I look forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Hey Tam, it's Livvie.

    I know what you mean about annoying cliffhangers...the bug the crud out of me. You do have to admit though, for what it was, "Pirates" was a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna Alice7:23 PM

    I always feel cheated when a book leaves with a cliffhanger ending. Once I bought a very old series book from a book sale and it had a cliffhanger ending. I searched for ten years to find the sequel! No fun--no siree---although cliffhangers are fun in shorter pieces where you don't have to wait so long.

    ReplyDelete