Monday, September 18, 2006

Book Review - The Redemption by M.L. Tyndall

Okay, this book was long awaited by my little old self. Almost two years ago now (can't remember the exact date) Marylu Tyndall put out an email on the ACFW loop asking how people acquired agents. The responses were along the lines of 'Go to a conference and meet one.' and 'Get referred by a published author.' This is disheartening stuff for someone who can't afford a conference and who is new enough to the writing world not to have scads of published author friends clamoring to refer them.

I emailed Marylu privately to tell her how I acquired my own agent. I found him through Sally Stuart's Christian Writer's Market Guide. No conference, no referral. Just a blessing from God.

She emailed back how encouraging this was for her, and she also signed with a great agent. She told me the premise of her book, and the idea intrigued me then. It still does.

The Redemption is the story of Charlisse Bristol, abused, shipwrecked, feisty, courageous and needy, who is rescued by Captain Edmund Merrick, secretly titled English gentleman who pirates Spanish ships in the name of the Queen of England. While Merrick is an expert at stealing Spanish gold, he's even more adept at stealing hearts. He certainly stole mine.

One of the things I loved about this book is that Merrick, after leading the life of a carousing pirate who surrendered his life to Christ, still struggles with some old sins. He has to approach temptations from a position of knowledge rather than innocent fascination, particularly those of drink, killing and promiscuous women. He battles himself with the Lord's help.

Charlisse faces feelings of abandonment at every turn. Because so many men in her life have let her down, trust in Christ and trust in Merrick do not come easy. One of the most powerful scenes in the book is when she cries out for God's help and He miraculously provides her with a safe haven. I for one am glad Marylu was able to keep this part of the story intact. It is quite the fad/fashion now to exclude God's miraculous help for his children from Christian fiction, that somehow, we can write fiction in God's name and yet leave Him out of all of it, save a few hasty prayers by our protagonists. Charlisse's miracle in The Redemption felt both astounding and right in the circumstances. Marylu wrote it well.

Would I recommend this book? Yes! For fans of historical fiction, pirates, romances, and just flat out good writing...Run out and get this book!

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I liked this review. It was well done. I haven't been blogging very long and have a lot to learn. I think I need to get pictures of my books on my blog. Please check it out.

    I would be happy if you would do a review for me on Mercy Triumphs.

    Blessings,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia,
    Email me at ducky1969 @ hotmail.com to chat about Mercy Triumphs. :)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll keep my eyes peeled for this one!

    Speaking of agents, I just sent out my first query letter. Scary, adrenaline rush, but all in a good way:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:54 PM

    Hello!
    The Redemption is my favorite book!
    I love Captain Merrick! <3
    Miss MaryLu is very sweet, and an awesome writer!!
    - anonymous

    ReplyDelete