Friday, October 27, 2006

From the Dust


I'm currently about halfway through The Secret Life of Bees. (I'm behind my time, I know, as I'm just getting around to it now.) All I can say is...WOW! Up front, I'll tell you, this is not Christian fiction. There are some language/violence issues that might make some folks cringe. But the writing...man, oh man.
Not long ago on Novel Journey (reached by clicking the link to the left), I read an interview with Rene Gutteridge, author of the 'Boo' series. When asked what writing strength she'd like to have, she said the strength of being able to write sentences that read like a dream, to be able to pull similies and metaphors from the dust.
That's how I feel as I'm reading "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd...for all its hard subject matter-- abuse, racism, religion, civil rights--it reads like a dream, similies and metaphors from the dust.
So what are you reading, and has anything ever struck you like that--a terrifically written book?

2 comments:

  1. Have been trying to think of any ONE book that I really wanted to write and I can't. There are a lot that I'd love to have written but my mind is a blank on titles. I'm sure it happens once or twice a week that I read a book and think, "Gee, I wish I'D written that."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-oh. I actually returned that book to the library un-read. I think I ran out of time when I was supposed to return it and I didn't check it out again. Oops. Maybe I'll pick it up again because I've heard so many good things about this book. Right now I'm reading Alaska Twilight by Colleen Coble, and I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete