Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Now the wait....

I got it done! The ms is in the mail. There is something so satisfying, and yet scary about writing those words "REQUESTED MATERIAL" on an envelope. I sent the package off with a prayer and a hope they don't have to use the return postage provided.

I was amazed at how relatively painless it was to carve 8K words from this manuscript. I took out everything that wasn't necessary to the plot. This shows how much I've grown as a writer in the past two years, because when I originally sent out that ms, it was 98K words. Then I edited it last fall down to 93K and thought it was really tight. And yet, there were at least 8K words that were unnecessary. Objectivity is a beautiful thing, and while I know I'm not completely objective about this story, (I love it like crazy) I am far more objective about the writing itself than I was two years ago.

So, now what? The waiting begins. But I won't be idle. I'll go back to Drums of the North Star with more enthusiasm than before.

To all who read and commented on the last entry...THANK YOU! Celebrations are always more fun when shared with those who rejoice with you.

Be sure to ask Kaye Dacus about her own really cool news too!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a job well done. Now, set aside "Drums" and write my sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah! Now you just do the next thing. In fact, I think I can hear the steady beat of a drum now. :) Can't wait for Nov. 3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now we can call ourselves "Ladies in Waiting" :-). Isn't it amazing how taking a break from a beloved story can give us objectivity about it? I haven't looked at my thesis novel in about six months, and when I pulled it up to print out the other night, my fingers itched to get back into it and make some changes (I have a list!) and do a major copyedit on it. But I refrained, since it would have taken more hours than I had available.

    And I do believe I hear the insistent drumbeat of the WIP calling . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! Having been with Beauty since the first time you wrote it, this is a truly historic day! I'm glad and happy and excited all at once. Savor the joy for a day and then get back to WORK!

    And just to muddy the waters--I'm not sure I hear drums....LOL!

    ReplyDelete