Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sidetracked by a cool God Thing


Have you ever had something happen to you that you KNOW is totally a God Thing? This week my agent told me he thinks I set some kind of record for him. No, not for having the most publishers clamoring for my work at once, (a shame, but maybe at some later date) nor for the most scathing rejections on a single manuscript (whew! wouldn't that be a kick in the head?) This time it is because a manuscript I mailed out two years ago this month, and which I assumed had melted away in someone's slush pile long ago, actually returned to me with a request for a full manuscript. How cool is that?

So the current WIP, Drums of the North Star, is on hold while I re-read that manuscript (which I haven't looked at in a year or so) and trim it down. I went to this publisher's website and saw they wanted at most 85K ms. This means I need to murder about 8K of my darlings to get it to the required length. So far, I've trimmed about 3K. It hasn't been as difficult as I'd feared, because I haven't read it in so long. I'm more objective about it, I've learned a lot of craft in the last year and see how it can be tightened up, and I am fixing the subtle POV things that escaped me early on. At my current rate, I should be able to trim 6K off in the first pass through. How cool is that?

The goal is to get it all set and sent out on Thursday or Friday of this week. And to pray SPECIFICALLY (see previous post on the retreat) that this ms will find favor with the editor who lifted it from the slush pile. Incidentally, it's my first novel she's requested. God is good. ALL the time...even when your ms is languishing somewhere. How cool is that???

7 comments:

  1. Shhhh, can you hear it? It's the Happy Dance being clogged/tapped/ skipped by everyone who knows Erica! I don't know how you can sleep at night. I'm so excited for you that I can't even sleep. So...think Scissor Nazi and cut, cut, cut. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY! It is very cool---which is probably why you were up at 1 AM posting this blog!
    It's also very encouraging or those of us who wonder where our ms. are languishing the past two years. Maybe mine slipped behind a cabinet or something too.

    Cut out all the "that's" Wink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a God thing. God wants this story published. Me too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee! That is AWESOME! And yes, God is good all the time:) How do you hang on while you wait? Waiting must be the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie8:32 AM

    Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erica--that's FABULOUS! You're right, it has been--and continues to be--a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:40 PM

    That is a super cool thing, Erica! I'm doing the happy dance too!

    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete