Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Coffee House

This morning marks the third morning in a row that I've spent in a coffee shop. My kids (homeschooled) are taking part in an art class a few blocks away, so I have 2.5 hours all to myself for three mornings. Bliss!

The benefits:
1. Uninterrupted time to spend on the novel. (Another 1K on the total)

2. The kids get to have some instruction provided by someone other than me.

3. We get out and about in the beautiful fall weather before winter sets in.

The drawbacks:
1. The coffee shop is a wireless hot spot. I have a wireless laptop. Email is so
tempting.

2. I am an inveterate people watcher. After three days, I've determined who 'the
regulars' are. There is a student with big textbooks, enveloping sweatshirt
and a lollipop, who slips her shoes off and curls into a leather chair with
her notebook. There's the youth pastor who wears his sunglasses on his
head. And the gramma who brings her little granddaughter, a colorbook
and a box of crayons each morning and meets 'the girls' for coffee. All
amazing distractions.

3. Then there is the oddity I like to call me. I've spent almost seven hours of the
past three days in a coffee shop. I don't even drink coffee! Instead, I've
sipped a lukewarm hot chocolate each day and surfed, blogged, edited
and generally sated my need to observe the human condition, at least as
shown in the local coffee shop. I do feel rather bohemian, on line, sipping
from an insulated coffee cup, in a place where they roast their own beans
and occasionally have live entertainment. For a simple country girl like
me, this is very cosmopolitan. It will probably find its way into a novel.

I did update the word counter yesterday. Woohoo! Over 11K words.

6 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! Before I started my new job back in May, I did something I'd always wanted to do--go to Barnes & Noble mid-morning on a Thursday, buy a couple of books, and then sit in the coffee shop and read for a few hours. I felt so decadent!

    I saw an online version of an interview J.K. Rowling did with 60 minutes where they visited the coffee shop where she wrote most of the first Harry Potter book. They also happened to mention that J.K. Rowling is the first author to ever become a Billionaire. Maybe there is something to writing in a coffee house . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green-eyed monster is coming out! 2 1/2 hours?! Uninterrupted? Oh my. What a nice break in your day, and it comes at a great time with it being NANO. Have fun and cherish the season:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cosmopolitan? Now, if we can just get you to a ride on the subway. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun thing to do and very different. Maybe it will jog an idea in your mind for a new novel. Loved the descriptions of the people. Having never seen a coffee house--except in books--it sounds like a cool place to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you be interested in blogging about a parenting book written by a fellow homeschooler?
    email me at amy@triciagoyer.com
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amyanne, can you tell me how to contact you about the parenting book?

    Erica

    ReplyDelete