Monday, November 27, 2006

I think I can...



Do you remember the story of The Little Engine That Could, by Watty Piper? What a classic reminder of the power of determination and perseverance.

Today I practiced some of that determination. This past weekend, I gained a lot of momentum on the ms. I didn't want to lose that momentum I fought so hard for. But how to maintain it? I can't "Steal" every day. I have obligations.

So I did something I haven't done in awhile now. I set a goal. Not only that, I set a goal and told a writing friend about it. She is my backstop, my accountability. The goal was reasonable, but it would require effort. Not only that, but I would have to tell someone when I made it, or explain to her why I didn't.

This encourager/accountability partner sent me an email to remind me of my goal and to get me moving on it. She's great about that kind of thing. Nobody sends more e-cards and emails just when I need them than she does. She is like the circus animals and the white faced clown who encourage, uplift, and urge the Little Engine on.

I began the day by a run to the orthodontist's and the grocery store, followed by intensive review of fifth grade history and science with my son for a couple of tests he was taking today. But all the while I remembered the goal. I 'composted' ideas for what I would write when I got to the keyboard, because I knew I would need to make a report of my achievement to my encourager.

I'm pleased to say, I made it. I set out to write 1000 words today, and despite phone calls, schooling, errands, supper prep, lunch breaks, and a cat who wants to eat my silk poinsettia decorations and retch about it later, I made it!

Thank you, Donna.

God is good. (And the cat is fine.)

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CJ couldn't spell 'congratulations' correctly the first time.

    Pat yourself on the back for accomplishing your goal. The faster you write, the faster we'll be able to read your novel. (-:

    Sorry I messed up your comments. It does make a difference which keys your fingers are on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I never can spell congratulations either and always compromise by saying CONGRATS really big.

    You are so sweet to mention me. I'm glad I could encourage you because you always encourage me!

    And Pookie needs to stay away from the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great that once you "steal" away time and get a good head of steam going and the wordcount starts rising, the more excited you get about finishing your project?

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete