Monday, November 20, 2006

Woohoo!

Better late than never. Today, after a restful weekend of shopping for bathroom fixtures and tile (we're putting an addition on our house) I sat my patootie down in my chair and worked on the manuscript. I caught up to my goal of last Friday to reach 20K words.

You know what was hanging me up? (Besides construction noise, schooling the kidlets, bookkeeping and life in general?) I didn't know where the next scene was going. One simple question, posed this morning after writing about three hundred words of aimless nothing, got me back on track.


The question, you ask? Simple. "What do you want or need to happen in this scene to move the story foreward?"


I know what you're thinking. "You dolt. That's the FIRST thing you should be thinking when you start a new scene."


Believe me, my life would be so much simpler if I thought the FIRST thing FIRST, instead of in retrospect.


Anyway, I've updated the word count ticker to the left to reflect the work put in.


Oh, and I'm stealing Saturday this week. Stay tuned for updates.


4 comments:

  1. Woohoo indeed! Even though I've now written out (very general) plot sketches for the rest of Book 1, and all of Books 2 and 3 of my WIP trilogy, I still have not sat down and just pounded out the rest of the story--so way to go!

    The question that I usually ask myeslf when I get stuck in the middle of a chapter: What situation can I generate that will leave my reader hanging at the end of this chapter wanting to know what happens next? Because usually that makes me want to write the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent question to push the ms. along. I tend to do a "what if" scenario if I get stuck. Such as, "what if" this or that would happen.

    And this is sooooooooooooo dumb I'm ashamed to admit it. I never realized the counter on your blog was for your WIP. I thought it was how many people were looking, or how many words were on your blog.

    Stealing Saturday, hm. It can get to be a habit stealing writing time but it always works for me! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. When stumped, I tend to eat something, preferably chocolate. Congratulations on reaching your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Glad to hear you're caught up and making progress! Keep going and you'll have the cool icon to put on your blog at the end of the month. I'll be watching for it!

    ReplyDelete