Monday, December 11, 2006

Little milestones

You know, today I went over 32K words on the ms. I wasn't feeing particularly thrilled about this, because in light of the total word count, 32K doesn't seem very far. That is until you plug it into the Word Meter and see that 32K is 40.1% of the total goal. Saying you have reached 40% of your goal sounds better than I've got just over 1/3 of a first draft done.

I know it amounts to the same number of words, but it's all in the mind games!

This is the slowest book I've ever written. Is it because my life is so wicked busy? Is it because the subject matter is more difficult? Is it because I am less sure of my ability with each passing day? A combination of these things, or something altogether different? I don't know. All I can do is plug away at it. BOW...Black on white, black on white...I keep typing.

5 comments:

  1. Written like a true bookkeeper! This is why I don't count the words but the time spent writing. Somehow the words add up but I don't have to think about writing a certain number per day.

    Writing--it happens one word at a time anyway. Celebrate the milestones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kinda like eating an elephant, isn't it? Imagine chowing down 40% of an elephant? Now THAT'S something to talk about! ...likewise, completing 40% of your ms is something to celebrate! Eat some peanut M&Ms and Cheez-Its for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel too bad . . . I've been working on my WIP for about a year an a half and am just now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

    You'll do it--remember, the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an impressive amount of your goal, congratulations. Maybe the task at hand would go quicker, if you didn't focus on the numbers. Just create. Jump onto that blank page, punch away, and most of all have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Progress is always good! I'm totally with you, though, because I feel like it's drudgery to slog through my WIP some days. And most of the time I'm addicted to the word count button, LOL. WHo knows? But I'm happy for you to have made so much progress! And I read your other post, so I know you have that other idea--a lit no less!--pestering you. LOL, LIT IS FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete