Monday, January 15, 2007

Another little milestone

Today saw another 2K words on the WIP. Woohoo! I've reached 70% of the projected goal. That feels pretty good. I'm about six days ahead of the deadline I've imposed for myself. That feels good.

FYI, trot over to Kaye Dacus' blog, (link to the left) to read her mini-course on showing vs. telling. This is one of those things that I feel I'm on the cusp of grasping. I'm now seeing it WHILE I'm writing, instead of working on it when editing later.

This weekend a friend and I painted my kitchen and dining room. The first coat made me uneasy, the second...sent me bonkers. What should have been a soft, buttery yellow, dried to a rather shocking spring green. And seemed to get brighter by the moment.

Enter the Super-husband. He took the original color and blended it with a gallon of white paint I had from another project to produce the color I had been looking for all along. I got right to work and rolled on the lighter color at about 10pm on Friday night. Saturday, the Super-husband did all the cutting in around cabinets and trim for me and the room looks terrific now. I tell you though, home improvement projects have me longing for my laptop and fictional world.

I can't express how having my goals written out has helped keep me on track, and even more, has motivated me. Has anyone reached a milestone recently, no matter how small?

4 comments:

  1. Feels good to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, even if you know it is still a ways off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got out of bed this morning, does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no major milestones here...yet. I think home improvement projects would make me long for my fiction, too. I'm not very handy, and neither is my hubby, LOL. Good thing your super-husband knows what to do! Sorry about your green kitchen, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, one of these days, POW, right in the WRITING TIP OF THE DAY. The darned thing is sooooooooooo SMUG!

    ReplyDelete