Monday, January 22, 2007

Making strides

Today saw a new milestone in Drums of the North Star- draft 1. I passed 60K words! I'm so pleased with how it is shaping up, though I know it will need a good grooming to be presentable.

This week I've been reading a book by a NYT best selling author. She headhops, writes in the passive, and 'tells' on nearly every page. How did she get to be a best-selling author? STORY! Her characters are fun, if somewhat predictable, and it is easy to escape into their lives. The one I'm reading at the moment is an American West romance, and the hero is dashing, brave and deadly gorgeous, the heroine is (dare I say it?) spunky, resourceful and heart-stoppingly pretty. Predictable, fun and filled with humor. Story rules over the rules.

Of course, I'd rather write a rollicking good story that abided by most of the rules. It is amazing that now that I know what POV/head-hopping is, it really stands out when I'm playing mental ping-pong between or among characters in a scene.

4 comments:

  1. I'm trying to read a Georgette Heyer novel right now--the one on Amazon that had the highest star rating and best comments--because I've been told that she's second only to Jane Austen for writing Regency romances... but the first two chapters (all I've read so far) are so laden with backstory, it's all I can do to keep my eyes focused on the page, much less keep track of all of the character histories. I'm hoping the pace picks up now that the stereotypically-rakish-bad-boy-Lord someone has shown up and manhandled the stereotypically-demure-doesn't-know-her-own-beauty-but-dressed-like-a-peasant-heroine.

    However, I am listening to the unabridged audio version of Eragon and thoroughly enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY!! You did it! I hear you on the "how did SHE get published" front too. Just read a highly rated book and I enjoyed the first few chapters. The characters are lively, funny, entertaining--but when it comes to a bit of a mystery total morons. Even the Bobbsey twins would have known what was up four chapters sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo, head hopping bugs me too! Passive voice isn't too distracting unless it's constant, but I agree that story trumps all. It's so fun when you get into a book that completely takes you away--for me that's when it's even better than a movie, and definitely better than TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm queen of the hop! :D

    ReplyDelete