Friday, February 02, 2007

Contest Fever?



How do you know if you have contest fever? A year and a half ago, I had entered three writing contests and gotten lots of good feedback. But I made the decision not to enter anymore contests, at least for awhile, because of the cost involved, the long waits between submitting and the results, and because I needed to practice the things I'd received critiques on and get better at them before I submitted anything again.

So, here I am, 18 months later, on the cusp of entering another contest, the ACFW Genesis. Why is it a good time now?

1) I think I am a better writer than I was when I first entered contests, but I won't know for sure until I put my work out there for someone to judge.

2) I have a super critique group with two amazing writers who are giving my entry a fine combing and doing a practice judging before I submit. One has been a Genesis judge before, so she should have lots of good points. The other has such a sharp eye for detail and using just the right word in her work. I'm hoping some will rub off on me. :)

3) If I should be blessed enough to final, (hey, why not dream a little?) the two judges who would be reviewing my entry's category are ones I would LOVE to have see my work.


A friend accused me of getting contest fever when I told her about the Genesis. I guess I do, because I sure am excited about entering. In fact, I even looked at the Barclay Sterling this year. Might take a stab at that one too. :)

4 comments:

  1. I think it's great if you've gotten the fever? After all, it will be excellent practice and who knows where it will lead. I say, Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you've looked up the Maryland writers.org contest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dirty darn, it's contagious! Looking at some contests myself---like I NEED something else to worry about. Gee, THANKS, a LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothin' wrong with a little contest fever, girl! I think you're ready to rock n' roll! It may be a long wait between subbing and getting the results but it's fun to have something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete