Tuesday, February 13, 2007

This Week From CFBA

This week from CFBA: a bit of an anomaly. We're not blogging about a fiction book. We're blogging about a NON-fiction book. That's right, the one and only non-fiction review planned for the CFBA.

This week I'd like to introduce you to an invaluable tool for Christian Writers.















ABOUT THE AUTHOR:



Sally E. Stuart is the author of thirty-four books and has sold more than one thousand articles and columns. Her long-term involvement with the Christian Writers' Market Guide as well as her marketing columns for the Christian Communicator, Oregon Christian Writers, and The Advanced Christian Writer, make her a sought-after speaker and a leading authority on Christian markets and the business of writing. Stuart is the mother of three and grandmother of eight.


ABOUT THE BOOK:


Christian Writers’ Market Guide is a "must have' for any serious Christian writer that is looking to get published!

I can't recommend this book enough to anyone wanting to be published in Christian publications. In the 2007 edition, you will find more than 1200 markets, 740 periodicals, 350+ book publishers, 300+ markets for poetry, cards and specialties and more than 100 literary agents all representing Christian fiction and non-fiction. It also gives you comprehensive lists of contests, writers groups and conferences, search engines, pay rates and submission guidelines, editorial services and websites.

Another really cool feature of this year's edition is the inclusion of the entire text on CD. You can now search for specific topics, contacts or publishers. You can't get much cooler than that!

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

I will always be grateful for Sally Stuart's guide, because it led me to my agent. About two years ago, with all the hubris in the world, I prepared proposal packets for my fresh from the printer manuscript and shot them off to all the agents in the guide who accepted unpublished authors of Christian fiction. Within six weeks, I'd gotten two requests for a full ms and one offer of representation. They saw something in the rough diamond I sent out. (Believe me, that thing was like Lazarus...in the grave three days and it stinketh!) Actually, it's a great story, dear to my heart, however the writing was...stinky! But I digress. The truth is, without the Christian Writer's Market Guide, I'd never have found my agent, and never put my toe in the rock-face that is publishing to attempt the climb.

Please visit Amazon.com to check out this book. The link is: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400071259

You can also visit the author's website by using this link: http://www.stuartmarket.com/

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a valuable resource. And that story is not stinky. Harrumph (-;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got mine yesterday. LOVE IT! Now, maybe I can find an agent too! (A girl can hope, can't she?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is--that ms. couldn't have been TOO BAD to get an agent! Having read it myself umpteen times--I also disagree about the writing being stinky. It's a wonderful story, has a great plot and I LOVE the happy ending. It might have needed a bit of fixing up--but doesn't everything?

    And thanks for the info on the book--think I'll get one for myself soon as I finish paying for my upcoming conference.

    ReplyDelete