Monday, March 12, 2007

An inch...a word...at a time.



Today I sent three more chapters of Drums to my crit partners. I ironed out some timeline problems, added a new character, and smoothed out the bumps I've been learning about through the critique group.
Editing can be a daunting task. For some, even more daunting than pounding out that first draft. It's like standing at the foot of a cliff. The summit is hundreds of feet overhead and there's no other way to get to the top except by chalking your hands and putting your toe in a crack on the rockface. All you can see is the cold stone in front of your nose.
Today, after I polished the chapters as best I could for this latest round of crits, I realized I had reached the 1/3 mark with the edits. I've climbed partway up the cliff and the view is getting better and better. 96/305 pages. Ten chapters.
My other goal, of having the plot cards done for Pam on Rye by 3/20/07 is pretty much on schedule. I'm casting about for a great opening line.
Once the crits are done on Drums, I will work on a synopsis and proposal packet. Then it will be time to send that baby out. But for now, I'll keep climbing that cliff. I bet the view at the top will be beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for 1/3! Good job, and before you know it your baby will be out in the world! Better chalk up those hands, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think revising is more fun that writing the first draft, personally! Of course, when I'm composing, sometimes I'm not sure what comes next so I feel like I'm just rambling until I hit my stride. The revision process is a lot like how sculptors describe their work--you just chip away whatever is unnecessary until the true "image" reveals itself.

    By the way, I can't wait to get your chapters from Georgiana so I can see if I was right about who grabbed Christabel's ankle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! Third done is super and I can't wait until you begin POR. Wouldn't say I'd compare editing to rock climbing though--it's more like falling OFF the cliff for me. You mean I gotta take all that OUT and change all that stuff that was so hard to write in the first place????

    ReplyDelete