Wednesday, March 14, 2007

This Week From CFBA ~ The Reliance by MaryLu Tyndall

I'm so excited about this week's blog review from CFBA. In September of 2006 I reviewed book one of the Legacy of the King's Pirate's series by MaryLu Tyndall, The Redemption. You can read that review by clicking here.

Today I'm happy to review the second book in this series, The Reliance. I'm a bit leery when it comes to sequels, especially if I really enjoyed the first book, as I so clearly did with The Redemption. Will the sequel stand up as well as the initial book?

I'm pleased to say that MaryLu Tyndall strikes gold again with The Reliance. If anything, she ups the ante on the characters to almost the breaking point, taking the reader on an even more breathtaking ride than in the first book. The author draws you in through all your senses until you can feel the rocking of the ship, taste the tang of the salt air, and hear the snapping of the sails and creak of ropes. Guns spew fire and smoke clogs your airways.

Circumstances tear Charlisse and Merrick apart, sending Merrick into a tailspin of despair. Half the time I wanted to knock him upside the head, and the other half I wanted to comfort him and tell him it would be all right. Charlisse suffers at the hands of her captor, and battles despair of her own. She runs the gamut of emotions where her husband is concerned, from love to sorrow to bitterness and anger. She suffers great loss and receives great blessing.

The bad guys are bad, the good guys are sometimes bad, and God is always good! Religion and emotion clash like two frigates gun to gun.

This past Sunday, a girl from my Bible study and I were discussing this book. She said she read it all the way through in one afternoon, then promptly started it over, because it was so good.

This book is sheer enjoyment, delightfully written and bursting with the truth of God's unfailing faithfulness. I heartily endorse The Reliance and hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. I can't wait until the third book in the trilogy, The Restitution, comes out.

You can visit MaryLu Tyndall's fantastic website by clicking here.

2 comments:

  1. Saw your review for The Reliance by M.L. Tyndall on the Blog Tour. lgp

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth can someone read a book in one afternoon? Am I totally slow? So not fair--tons of great books and so little time.

    ReplyDelete