Monday, April 30, 2007

A rotten patient



I am such a rotten patient. I want to be left alone when I'm sick, but then I get lonely. I pretend I'm not ill, but get cranky if no one says they hope I feel better soon.
And medicine? Oh my! Cough medicine makes me want to hurl, and when I take an antihistimine? Well, let's just say that when I took the kid's dose of Dimetapp yesterday it made my brain feel as if all my hair were growing inside out. I could feel my spine tingling with every indrawn breath! If I take NyQuil, I have to take it sitting on the side of the bed, because I'll be drunk on the walk between the medicine cabinet and my pillow.
The family has been wonderful, bringing me anything and everything I need and being quiet so I can sleep. I don't know what I would do without them.
It does make me feel a little guilty that I wasn't more sympathetic last week when James (my son) had this cold. Who taught that kid to share, anyway?
Are you a 'good patient', a 'bad' patient, or a 'pull the covers over your head and hibernate till it's over' patient?

4 comments:

  1. Two words: Milk it. (-;

    I actually like to be left alone when I don't feel well. I'm apt to growl like a bear if someone asks "how are you feeling?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a choice--I live by myself, so I'm always left alone when I'm sick. Although I hate it when people hover, after fending for myself for the last eleven years (the handful of times I've been non-functioning-level sick) makes someone hovering sound pleasant.

    My problem with medication isn't so much the stuff for runny noses or scratchy throats--I have problems with pain medication. Four years ago before I had back surgery for a ruptured disc, I discovered that pretty much every heavy-duty pain killer (especially the narcotic stuff like oxycodone/percocet--or any of the -cet drugs) make me sick to my stomach. I already knew codeine and demerol do that (from experiences with those at age 11 when I had shingles (codeine) and at 17 when I had my wisdom teeth out (demerol). Most migraine medicines make me sick too--even those that are supposed to help with the headache-related nausea. (Not good for someone with Chronic Migraine Syndrome.)

    So, let's just say I've learned to have a very high tolerance for pain. Oh, and to not get sick often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm with Kaye--don't get sick often! Actually, the last few times I've been really sick I was pregnant, and you know what that means. No medicine. Argh! Talk about misery!

    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully, I don't get sick often either. When I do, I don't want anyone to bother me. But it is nice to have someone ask. Hope you're feeling chipper again soon!

    ReplyDelete