Thursday, May 31, 2007

Baby, it's tough


There are times when the writing comes easily. I know where I'm headed, I know what to do, and I love doing it. Those are great times.
And then there's now.
At the beginning of another book. I'm three chapters in on the new project, I have a vague idea of where I want to go with it, and the last thing this girl wants to do is sit down and type it out.
I've come up with lots of excuses and way to procrastinate. Just before I finished today's work, I was actually contemplating getting out my counted cross-stitch (which I haven't worked on in MONTHS) just so I could have some busy work and not have to write. Sad, sad, sad.
I'm like this at the start of every book. There are so many choices to make, so many ways it could go. It isn't until I'm at least a fourth of the way into it that I feel I know the characters well enough and have narrowed the choices enough to write with any speed.
Then, with this one, there is the added challenge of a new genre for me. That's slowing me down a bit too.
The cure? Sit my butt in my chair and put black words on white paper. Sigh. I gotta keep moving on this one. The deadline looms.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh. I've been procrastinating for weeks now. I'm starting a new book and the plot is going to be the most complex I've done so far (which doesn't necessarily mean much!).

    I just need to sit down and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't touched your stitching in months? Ack!!!! Pull it out and let it breathe and talk to you!

    *sits back and tries not to hyperventilate as she contemplates not stitching for months* Nope, can't do it.... *reaches for the paper bag*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm often found if you stitch and keep your hands busy, your plot can work itself out in the most amazing ways.
    But then, who am I to talk? I juggle several projects at once so I can zip back and forth and have no reason to procrastinate. There's always something I should be working on.

    ReplyDelete