Okay, five quick things I've learned in researching my latest book:
1) November and April are the worst weather months on the Great Lakes.
2) Lake Superior has a unique phenomenon called The Three Sisters. Bad for ships.
3) Whaleback steamers were often called pig-boats because of their pig-like bows.
4) The average temp of Lake Superior is 40 degrees...BRRRRR!
5) Lake Superior is not only the largest of the Great Lakes but the deepest by a LOT!
And I've learned so much more. Maybe that is the thing that appeals most to me about writing fiction, particularly historical fiction...there's always something new to research and learn.
The photo is of beautiful Split Rock Lighthouse on the North Shore of Lake Superior. It was taken from the front porch of the Fog House.