Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Friday Five - a wee bit early


Five cool writing quotes I have come across.


1. I try to leave out the parts that people skip. ~Elmore Leonard

2. Proofread carefully to see if you any words out. ~Author Unknown

3. Do not put statements in the negative form.
And don't start sentences with a conjunction.
If you reread your work, you will find on rereading that agreat deal of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing.
Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do.
Unqualified superlatives are the worst of all.
De-accession euphemisms.
If any word is improper at the end of a sentence, a linking verb is.
Avoid trendy locutions that sound flaky.
Last, but not least, avoid cliches like the plague.
~William Safire, "Great Rules of Writing"

4. Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

5. A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other one. ~Baltasar Gracián

What about you? Got any favorite quotes about writing? Or do any of these touch close to home?

5 comments:

  1. ROFL Can't decide which one is funniest.

    A writing quote? Yeah, "never miss an opportunit to keep your mouth shut." (-;

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post! Number 5 resonates pretty well with me (did I spell that right?) Reminds me of Elmer Fudd who always found a synonym for a word he couldn't pronounce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine's not as clever as the ones you found, and I can never seem to remember great quotes that I've heard. But my favorite one is --
    If you drop a dream, it breaks.
    Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The difference between fiction and reality is this, fiction has to make sense." Tom Clancy

    I thought the quotes were funny! You started me on a quest to look for some of my own. Have spent half an hour procrastinating when I should be writing---:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love the quotes. Hope you will come visit me.
    Mary, the Antique Sailor

    ReplyDelete