Friday, October 26, 2007

The Friday Five


This week's Friday Five is:
Five things I have considered doing in order to avoid rewrites.
1. Clean my bathroom. Yes, in desperate times such as these, I consider calling in the Scrubbing Bubbles and Tidy Bowl Man. The bathroom could use a sprucing up, but that won't get the rewrites done.
2. Read more of Noah Lukeman's The Plot Thickens. After all, this would be a writing related activity...it just wouldn't get the rewrites done.
3. Fold laundry. I have a few baskets of clean laundry sitting beside me that I could fold. It is our practice here to do all the laundry up in one day, then fold it all and put it away all at once. But I COULD fold some of it now...but that wouldn't get the rewrites done.
4. Research and find major plot points for the new novel. (What I'd really like to be doing now.) But that won't get the rewrites done.
5. Blog the Friday five...Well, now that that is done, I suppose I shall have to get on with the rewrites.
What things have you done to avoid writing, rewriting, etc.?

7 comments:

  1. If you need help stalling, come on over. That would also give me a good excuse to put off my to do list :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I have plenty of interruptions to keep me from my ms. Two of them are trying to avoid a nap right this minute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAIT! Let me clarify: my tots are not interruptions in and of themselves. It's the I-don't-want-to-nap whine that earns the distraction award. And it's so happening in about 2 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reminds me. I need to go change my laundry out! And I'm cleaning the bathroom Sunday afternoon. When I get in the shower and nearly slip and bang my head, it's time to do something, lol.

    My cookies are done, and I'm debating whether or not to write, or dive into one of my research books. I needed to be finished with one of them already and I haven't touched it in 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cleaning the studio is the number one procrastination activity. Email, reading blogs, searches are other favorite past times to procrastinate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must be bad if cleaning the bathroom looks good to you. Just rinsing the Scrubbing Bubbles will eat up a lot of time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never have to find anything to avoid writing--I'm usually stuggling to get past all the interruptions, etc. TO work.

    Procrastination isn't as much a problem as not being able to get at it and write or revise--like now--toddler underfoot, sink full of dirty dishes and a stinky cat. My plan for this morning was to burn a CD with edits and hole up with the laptop---eventually, I guess.

    ReplyDelete