Tuesday, October 30, 2007

National Novel Writing Month

November is National Novel Writing Month. Chris Baty, a fun-loving guy from California, started a group called NaNoWriMo whose goal each November is to pound out 50,000 word novels every November.

The group has grown from a handful of coffeehouse junkies to more than 15,ooo participants last year.

This year, I am going to participate. I'll be working on my new ms "Hope of the North Star". In order to be eligible I will have to start from scratch, which won't be all bad, since my beginning the first time around does not exactly start with a bang.

In order to succeed at the NaNo, you must write an average of 1666.66 words per day for 30 days. Knowing I won't be able to write every day next month, I will have to try to load up early, with at least 2000 words per day as often as I can.

Even more fun, my daughter is planning on participating with me. She will be an unofficial participant, penning her first novel. She's got a hero, a dilemma, a pretty girl, a villain, and a dramatic conclusion. So she's all set.

You can view my progress via the NaNo site under the username ericavetsch.

p://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node

Special thanks to CJ for the Honorary NaNo Participant graphic for Heather. And yay for CJ for becoming an unofficial NaNoWriMo writer herself. November will be a wild ride!

6 comments:

  1. I signed up for NaNoWriMo too but I'm having computer problems so I might be unofficially participating. I can't seem to get past the main page. :( I think my 'puter is too slow or something. Everytime I try to pull up the forums or my page, all I get is a blank. Nothing more. :( Oh well...I've got a new story bubbling in my head and my first three chapters outlined. That's something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and have fun, to you and Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it cheating that I'm taking Friday and Monday off work to spend two days marathoning on PitV?

    I'm on an even shorter timeline--I told Chip I'd try to have PitV finished by Thanksgiving. Originally, I'd looked forward to a very quiet four-day weekend with my parents at their vacation home in Arkansas. But just learned my sister and her brood will be there the whole weekend, too--so I've got to get as much done before then as possible!

    But, at least now I've got 90,000 other people who are going to be doing the same thing--at least according to the e-mail I got from them this morning. Wow, 90,000 people all marathon writing for a month. That's some serious creative ju-ju going on!

    We can do it, yes we can, if we can't do it, we won't get published! Er, I mean, no one can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you all the best with NaNoWriMo. It sounds daunting, but when you break it down to a daily word count, not so much. Take a deep breath and let your fingers fly across those keys. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool that your daughter will be joining you this year! What a great way to have built-in encouragement and inspiration. With all the NANO talk, it sort of makes me wish I was done with SofA so I could participate =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an instructor at Misque, a juried writer's retreat for authors with complete (or nearly complete!) novels, who want to take the next step and prepare it to be sent to agents and editors. Space is limited to twenty people.

If you have completed a novel and think you might be interested, check out http://misque-writer.com/ or email me at misque-writer@misque-writer.com

If you're already a published author, consider being a guest instructor -- we can't pay you but you get an all-expenses paid week in a 5-star resort in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete