Monday, October 22, 2007

New Goals for 2007-2008



It's that time of year. Goal Time!
Last winter I set out about a dozen specific goals to be completed by the time the ACFW conference rolled around in September. I'm happy to say I completed nearly all of them. The one notable exception was swapping out writing a "Sandwich Lit" book for writing a short historical romance instead. But most all those goals terminated at the conference, so it is time to make out a new set of goals.
1. Research 1870's southwest Minnesota.
2. Write a first draft of "Hope of the North Star" (tentative title) by February 14th, 2008. {I don't know why I chose this date, but there it is.}
3. Edit and rewrite "Hope of the North Star" by May 15th, 2008.
4. Write proposal packet, synopsis, and pitch for HOTNS before September 2008.
5. Work on Deep Editing Course by Margie Lawton, incorporating what I'm learning.
6. Read 5 books on craft this year.
That will be enough to be going on with. I'm searching around for what to work on after Hope of the North Star is finished. I have a few things in mind, so we'll see where it goes from here.
I'll try to post monthly updates on how I'm doing. I know for myself, having specific goals makes a huge difference in what I accomplish. I challenge you to write down some goals of your own and check back on them from time to time to see how they are coming along.

8 comments:

  1. I find without a clear goal or deadline, I'm apt to fritter my time. It's too easy to say Forse Domani, maybe tomorrow and find other things to do, clean, compost, watch movies and the list goes on and on

    ReplyDelete
  2. SANDWICH LIT?! I love it--a new genre. You're breaking ground--you know, when you write it. I think I like the letters of your new title if we leave out the N. HOTS. LOL, I crack myself up!

    Good job on the goal setting, and what an appropriate time to do so. I'll have to think on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Goals? And it's not even January 1st. :) You put me to shame, Erica. I'm still foolin' around, wringing my hands and wondering what to do, what to do. Even though I have rewritten the first chapter of three different projects. I think it's time to move on to chapter 2...in all of them. :)

    Great goals, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica, I think we're on the same wavelength. It's a time of evaluation/reevaluation for me. I haven't put down my goals yet, but I'm thinking about "what now?" all the time. Thanks for spurring me into action. I'll be checking back with you to see how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always plan on setting goals... and when I do, I'm pretty good at working towards them... it's just the actual setting of the goals I struggle with. Procrastination is much easier. I think I'll have to work on that. Maybe that should be my goal... to stop procratinating with the setting of goals... :-)

    The dog was gone when I got home from work. He didn't have a collar on, but he looked pretty well fed, so I figured he just escaped from his home and was out wandering the neighborhood, frightening the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't set goals this year (which was unusual for me), but I'm glad I didn't because we had the big movie and haven't settled into the new normal yet.

    But I will set goals come end of December. Good for you getting your goals out there again! They motivate me too, so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does making it through the week count as a goal? Hmm... probably not. I'll have to get back to you.

    P.S. What's sandwich lit? Sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to make goals for each day as I get up. Usually, I have something I'm working on and I try to plan what I can likely do that day to further it along. Some days I don't get anything done, other days I get more.

    It would never do for me to say--okay, I'll have a first draft by such and such a date. I'd feel pinned in and unable to do anything if I started to fall short of the self imposed deadline.

    I admire people who can have that much control over what they do with each day. I'd love to have that ability, but it wouldn't be me.

    ReplyDelete