Monday, October 08, 2007

Obligatory glass of Whine


Okay, folks, it's time for my obligatory glass of Whine. I'm at the start of a new book. The first fifty pages of a new novel are the WORST for me. I can't think where to start, I can't seem to get a grasp of my characters, and I can't work up enough courage or confidence in myself and my writing ability to get into a rhythm and pour words on the page.
Since this is by far not my first novel, I know the pattern. Whine and fuss and kick, write in fits and starts, compost, plot, whine some more, squeeze out a few more pages, till one day (usually a stolen Saturday) the pieces click and the words tumble out.
Today I got 500 words on paper. Felt more like I wrote a million.
Pass the cheeze. I'm whining.

6 comments:

  1. Since you know it happens everytime, just keep in mind how great it is to write THE END. You know eventually you'll have a book so just figure this is you at the starting line - getting your writing muscles in gear.

    By Valentine's Day you'll have another book. I may still be working on this one! Now there is a REAL reason to whine---:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said you wrote 500 words. Why aren't they on your word counter? Keep doing that and they will add up and you'll be on you way before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first word is daunting. All that white space. Just make an ink blot, do some near graduate level research and off you go! (-;

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA--been there! Let's partake of the whine together =P Only my whine has to do with editing. Of course, you might have more whine when I make you read my book...again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since the first fifty pages are the worst, why not start writing on page fifty-one? :-)

    I know what you mean. I'm awful with beginnings. I went through three or four different versions on both HEI and RH.

    And don't forget, we tend to be our own harshest critics--it's probably not as bad as you think it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lori chally8:39 AM

    I look at it this way... Yes, starting may be painful, but Oh, the FREEDOM! You are not yet bound by plot points or characters or settings. You can do ANYTHING you want! Go crazy, be outlandish... It doesn't matter. Yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete