Friday, November 09, 2007

The Friday Five

This week's Friday Five is:

Five Ways I Know I Am Getting Old.




1. A friend of mine recently remarked that her son disliked his keyboarding class, and my first thought was, "I didn't know they'd bought a piano keyboard." Duh! Keyboarding is the new version of typing class.

2. I opened a new account on line for a site that requested your date of birth. For birth year, they had a drop down menu. I had to scroll to find mine. A Loooooooooong Way.

3. My daughter's comment at dinner the other night. She said casually, "When I get married and have kids, you will be Gramma Vetsch." I was gobsmacked. Gramma Vetsch is what my husband called HIS gramma! I was ready for my tennis-ball footed, bike-basket adorned aluminum walker right there.

4. At the auction I went to last Saturday, the auctioneer was selling as 'Vintage Items' things I remembered when they came out new. Rubik's Cube...Vintage? Hello!?

5. Last night, my son and I started reading aloud Zilpha Keatley Snyder's THE VELVET ROOM. When I told my son that my fourth grade teacher had read this book to my class in 1979, he was impressed. When I told him my copy of the book had been printed in 1965, he looked at the book like it was an original copy of a Gutenberg Bible. "Wow, that's old!"

Sigh. Not that old. Not anymore.

11 comments:

  1. LOL! Kids sure have a way of making us sound old, don't they? I remember when Lenny was about 4, when he was going to be a paleontologist when he grew up, he asked Mom if she remembered what dinosaurs looked like before they all died. I still remember the look on her face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is James enjoying THE VELVET ROOM. That is one of my all time favorite books--although I can't stand most of her other titles. I still recall the time I almost got to meet her---grrrrrrrrrrr! One of the major disappointments of my life. I wanted her to sign my copy, also printed in the 60's.

    And my opinion is, you aren't old unless you can remember when Grant was president. You can't, can you???? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cracked me up. You look way younger than me, and obviously you are--you still have kids at home. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. PS: I think I was already a mom when Rubik's cube came out. I never did get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you really are OLD--because I took keyboarding in 1984 or 1985! (On "new" Apple II computers at school!)

    I had this experience when talking movies with my cousin who is currently in film school (he's 20 or 21)--when he called some of my favorite movies from my teen years "classics." To me, classics are the movies with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn--in black and white, all made before 1950!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a freshman in H.S. (yes, they had typewriters, but not 'puters), we were without electricity for a week (lived way out in the country). using kerosene lamps was the only light we had after dark. Mom talked about how she grew up using these kind of lamps. My brother, 9 years my junior, asked (with all sincerity), "So did Abraham Lincoln, like we learned in school. Mom, did you know Abraham Lincoln?" I think he went straight to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember typing class quite well. We had 6 electric models and those of us who were fast, drooled at the opportunity to get on one of those babies. Until we passed enough time tests, however, they were off limits. So, I had to sit next to Marty Bush and Dave Croft, waiting to get on an electric. Marty and Dave kept me off the electrics for at least two extra weeks. I was second fastest in my class... which they couldn't stand. They'd reach over, during time tests, when Mr. DeCamp wasn't looking, smack my keyboard, jamming the keys and ruining my time! Arrrrrgggghhh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you! Kids'll do that. At least your daughter didn't refer to you as GRANNY Vetsch! My mom refused to be called Grandma, so we went with the Eskimo word for grandmother...I think I'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ana. It's pronounced with a long AH sound. In other words, it sounds like a name instead of a title ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL You're making me feel like I have 2 feet in the grave and sinking fast!

    As to walkers, don't opt for the Schwinn. Go for the Raleigh with the handbrakes,4 wheels and seat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and we didn't have keyboarding or typing when I was in school. We had stone carving with mallet and chisel. I thought wax and stylus was the wave of the future! LOL Kidding. Had typing with Miss McDade, a former Marine drill sergeant. Only her business students were allowed to use the IBM Selectric I. The rest of us had to pound out the drills on a manual Olivetti or Underwood typewriter. Oh, dear, I blogged on your blog. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another sign you're getting old--you have to stop and think about what year you were born in, then do the math. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete