Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Goals

Time to Re-check those goals and add to them:

1. Research 1870's southwest Minnesota. Research is complete. At least for the time being.
2. Write a first draft of "Hope of the North Star" (tentative title) by February 14th, 2008. {I don't know why I chose this date, but there it is.} Have shelved this project as it is just not coming together. Will start on another project soon. :)
3. Edit and rewrite "Hope of the North Star" by May 15th, 2008. Hope to have the new project edited by about this time.
4. Write proposal packet, synopsis, and pitch for HOTNS before September 2008. This one needs some more marinating before I can write it.
5. Work on Deep Editing Course by Margie Lawton, incorporating what I'm learning. I've been working through this course. It's a lot to bite off.
6. Read 5 books on craft this year. I've read Writing Romance from Writer's Digest, and I read a book by Noah Lukeman.

New goal I've added:
7. Prepare a Genesis contest entry.

How about you? Have you set out goals? Are you doing well?

7 comments:

  1. Ooo, great thought starter. You have some solid goals listed. I'm going to have to get back to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now my goal is just to get through the day. (-; You've got me thinking about making a list of things to get done before the Spring dog and pony show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as 2007 goals go, well . . . let's just say I had better results than I expected. I finished Ransome's Honor and got a second draft of it completed (and cut almost 25,000 words). I started a new project that has had some serious interest from a couple of houses who don't usually even look at unpublished authors' stuff. And I had a couple of really good editor meetings at the conference that should be bearing fruit soon. ;-)

    My main goal of 2008 is WORD COUNT! I want to finish the first draft of A Major Event Inc. by April or May--which I can do if I commit myself to writing at least 1,000 words per day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I confess, I highjacked your blog=P I think I accomplished my 2007 goals (wish I'd written them down!). The only thing I need to finish is getting SofA out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't have any goals for 2007 per se, but I am well on my way to completing my first writing goal. I've finished the first draft of A Time For War Genesis entry and am working through my first round of crit partner edits. I am having SO MUCH FUN!!! My first draft is basically a skeleton, and now I get to add in all the juicy little things that really make it come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are pretty much on track. I try more for daily or monthly goals. I seem to keep a running list (usually in my head :)) of what needs to be accomplished within a given segment of time. Maybe writing them down would give them more power.

    Have lots of goals for 2008--too bad all the publishers and agents I'll be targeting don't share my goals--sure would make things a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're ahead of me on setting your goals although mine are percolating in my subconscious. It helps to write them down--makes them seem more real. I'm being prompted on another loop to do that, too, so I'll be making some strides in that area. Ahhhhh. . . .the Genesis. Yes, I'm going to enter this year, but I have to write it first. Or revise one of my WIP's on the computer. Right now, my brain is fuzzy and Christmas shopping/baking/wrapping beckons. Bless you, Erica.

    ReplyDelete