Saturday, January 19, 2008

Fear

Fear. The writer's bane. Parazlyzing, soul-sickening, life-stealing fear.

What if the story isn't good enough? What if I can't finish this novel? What if the characters won't behave? What if nobody likes me?

Fear feeds the neediness inherent in many authors. I've fallen prey to it lately about the Genesis contest.

What if 15 pages isn't enough of an opening for the judges to appreciate my story? What if they don't like my synopsis? What if I don't final this year?

On one of the writer's email loops I belong to, someone posted that FEAR stood for

F-False

E-Evidence

A-Appearing

R-Real

How true is that? How often do we fear something that is false? Listen to the lies our heart tells us until they appear more real than the truth?

I'm happy to say I finished both my Genesis entries and will send them off to the crit partners tonight.

I read somewhere that courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is putting your fear in your hat, then sitting on your hat. Courage is moving on in spite of your fear.

Long live Courage!

6 comments:

  1. It's hard to put yourself "out there" for scrutiny. Have faith in your abilities and let your light shine.

    One thing about the contests, the judging can be so subjective. Enter for the for the fun of it, the experience. You'll do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Genesis entries! You're going to do great. BTW, which writers loop do you belong to that I know nothing about? Hmmm????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm submitting mine tomorrow. I'm very excited and very nervous all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G- it's the Midwest Zone e-loop from ACFW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! Thanks for posting this.

    Here's to fighting fear with Truth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Erica, and something that grips me more or less all the time. It's also what keeps me writing--fear that I will look like an idiot if I give up on my dream and hate myself for giving up. So fear can be advantageous if it pushes us forward into the unknown, the scary places. I'm heading there now to work some more on my Genesis submission.

    ReplyDelete