Saturday, January 12, 2008

A few thoughts



Today my husband and I went to lunch together sans kids. We had a great time, I had mango salsa cheesecake, and we talked--really talked--for two hours!
Have I mentioned that I have the best husband ever?
Anyway, in the course of our conversation, I realized how like becoming a better writer becoming more Christ-like is.
Editors choose your work because of its strengths and reject it because of its weaknesses. In order to increase your chances of an editor wanting to buy your work, you need to focus on your strengths and make them even stronger, and determine your weaknesses and work on making those less weak.
It is like that with your Christian walk too. Identify your strengths. Hospitality? Teaching? Encouragement? Do those things, work those spiritual muscles, and become even better at those.
Also, identify your weakness. Giving? Mercy? Evangelism? Work on those weaknesses, step out of your comfort zone, ask God for some help in developing these areas.
You might be surprised what happens.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Erica. Strengths? Hospitality and encouragement, although I frequently stumble in those areas and could kick myself when I don't exercise my gifts. Weakensses? Impatience and lack of perserverance, and boy howdy, do I need Jesus to take the wheel with those in my writing life. The bottom line--I am so thankful my journey with God is just that--a path strewn with breathtaking vistas, wonderful people who challenge and delight me, and detours that ultimately lead home to his loving arms. You've blessed me today, Erica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts! Thanks for the reminder to work on those weaknesses =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! And one of my 2008 goals is to start working on one of those spiritual weaknesses: hospitality. But as none of the gifts stand alone, I know that by working on that area, it will help me in some of my other weak areas, such as mercy and giving.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this was a lot to think about!
    Another question came to mind as I read this too--do our strengths and weaknesses match up to what God considers them to be? Or do we have an exalted view of what we think we're good at?

    Do we imagine ourselves to be Martha Stewart wannabes when people leave mumbling about the watery coffee and overdone cinnamon buns? Lots of thoughts to simmer in my brain.

    ReplyDelete