Thursday, January 10, 2008

Writing Class



Yesterday I taught my first writing class to someone other than my kids. A friend of mine who also homeschools has agreed to trade specialties with me. She is teaching my daughter, Heather, to sew, and I am teaching her daughters (Rachel, Rebekah, and Sarah) how to write biographies, short stories, and research papers. My son, James, is also in the class.
This is a WIN-WIN situation for me. I have no clue how to sew. In fact, sewing machines make me very nervous. A couple of forays into the land of home-ec sewing in the past have not ended well for me. Best to leave this advanced science to the experts like Julie.
But writing now, that's right in my wheelhouse. We all met at the library yesterday morning. Their assignment before the class was to decide on who they would like to write a biographical report on. I was tickled to death at their choices.
Rachel, the eldest, the most responsible of the group, chose Harriet Tubman. We found several excellent resources for this admirable historical figure, and I expect Rachel's report to be well-executed and organized.
Rebekah, the animal lover and avid reader, chose one of my heroes, Marguerite Henry, author of horse books that I read to tatters as a kid. We found both an autobiography and a biography about this influential children's author. Rebekah's report will have a beautiful cover, illustrations, and will be written from the heart.
Sarah, the sports lover, has chosen the hilarious John Madden of NFL fame as her subject. Because John Madden is still among the living, we will have to rely on his humorous anecdotal works, as well as information gathered mostly on line. I expect Sarah's report to be loaded with John's sports accomplishments.
James, my adventurer, chose Christopher Columbus. We found so many books about Columbus that it was hard to choose. James's report will cover the basics, no frills. He'd rather be moving than writing, so this will be a challenge for him. (and maybe for me too!)
We'll meet once a week for the class. This week's assignment is to read the resources we found and answer the basic questions, Who, When, Where, What, Why.
We're going to have such fun!

6 comments:

  1. Several years ago, when I did my teaching assistantship in the remedial Freshman Comp class, one of my assignments was teacing the class on Writing the Five Paragraph Essay.

    I still have the PowerPoint if you want me to e-mail it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea for each of you to trade off your talents! Sounds like a perfect solution and fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a writing class with a bunch of my fellow homeschoolers. For 2 years, and then we moved. It was once a week and I had so much fun!!!! I give Mrs. Murphy a lot of credit in putting me on my current path. She was always so encouraging to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool! What a neat opportunity, and a way to maximize your gift =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun! I love to sew and write!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to share your love of writing--encouraging future writers! You never know what sparks of imagination you might ignite. My best to you for this fun adventure.

    ReplyDelete