Friday, February 15, 2008

The Friday Five



This week's Friday Five is all about the great learning experience my first job was. I was a burger babe at McDonald's.
So, five things I learned, courtesy of McDonald's.
1. If you hit your funnybone while carrying a large order of fries, fries will scatter like confetti, positively RUSHING to get under every cart and appliance in sight so you have to practically get down on the floor to gather them into the dustpan.
2. Teenage girls can have shockingly dirty mouths. We had wireless headsets for the drive through with both a public and private frequency, and some of the girls seemed unable to communicate on the private line without profanity of the most descriptive kind. A local HAM or CB radio operator could pick up the private line and complained to the FCC.
3. You never know what to expect when working the drive-through. One man pulled up after ordering four quarter pounders, no bun, no condiments. I went to pass them through the window, and a cougar's head looked back at me. The man had a full-grown puma in that Bronco, chained with a collar to the back upper corner. I made the man reach out for the sack of meat. Can you blame me?
4. There is nothing so traumatic, nor so destined to gum up the works, as a romantic breakup of one of the guys in the grill and one of the girls in the drive-through. Angst everywhere and filling up the trash cans.
5. Though I learned a lot, working at McDonald's was a great incentive to get myself to college and find some other line of work. I didn't want to be asking folks, "Do you want fries with that?" for the rest of my life.
What was your first job? What did it teach you?

7 comments:

  1. Make the man reach for the hamburger bag, I would have made him come into the store to get it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, a cougar???? Yikes!

    My first job was the salad bar girl at JB's Restaurant. It super-sucked. And I wasn't even good enough to get promoted to waitress =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first job was on the Eiffel Tower---the one in Ohio. Yup, I worked for good old King's Island and the third scale replica of the Eiffel Tower. I was a "tower girl" in my sassy little blue dress with white ruffles around the neck and a blue and white polka dotted sash. The only more elite job in the park were the gals and guys at the "Lion Country Safari."

    My first job taught me that it is no fun to be stuck in an elevator full of people five inches BELOW the top and no way out. When they finally got us out, the other girls shoved me into Elevator two for a return trip to the top--sort of the get back on a horse theory, I think.

    It also taught me that my French--we had to say Hello, my friends--was not up to par when french teachers came onboard. I got corrected every way and in every language you can imagine.

    But the best thing it taught me was never to trust your friends on Halloween night. There is something very spooky about being 360 feet up, alone at night on top of a tower, hearing the elevator open and having Dracula come shrieking toward you with open arms. Let's put it this way--it's a good thing the whole tower platforms were fenced or I'd have taken a flying leap off the sides.

    On the other hand--it's a lovely place to watch fireworks and we had them every night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first job besides babysitting and ironing for people (yuck! how bad is that?) was as a nurse's aide. I experienced the thrill of seeing an infant enter the world and the pain of another child's death in the first month on the job. I learned that I wanted to be a nurse, to make a difference in people's lives. So, nursing became my second job, my third, my fourth. . .many great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first job was when I was old to put things in numberical order and it was filing the charts at Papa's office. Then I moved up to filing insurance signatures. Then we moved and it became assistant receptionist. That's when I started getting paid.

    From there it progressed to nurse's assistant and learning how to give shots and do EKG's. That was fun! Then things started sliding downhill and I became the nurse and Papa's right hand. Somedays I was his left hand too. Didn't get paid nearly enough for all the crap I had to put up with.

    I'm 25, and I'm only on my 4th job from an employer standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No. 5 made me laugh out loud.

    And I think I'd prefer the puma to working with the broken-up couple. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first real job was at Golden Corral--back when it was still a steakhouse with a large salad bar, not just an all-you-can-eat buffet bonanza. I learned that contact lenses will absorb grease out of the air, brown is not my color, the "poke test" to tell how a steak is cooked, and that the fun happens when the last customer leaves for the night--the music (usually Bon Jovi--"Wanted! Dead or Alive") gets cranked up. I worked with a great group of people, mostly other high school/college students, and no one in our kitchen dated each other. What I really learned, though, is that the restaurant business was not for me.

    I think everyone should have to work in a restaurant for at least six months. I don't think you ever learn as much about your fellow human beings as when you witness how they act in a restaurant setting.

    ReplyDelete