Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sometimes it hits me...



Today was a profitable stolen day at the library. I doubled the length of my manuscript, clocking in over 5000 words today! Woohoo!
But early on in the day, Heather was sitting beside me working on her AWANA lesson. She said, "I need to go get a Bible off the shelf to look up this verse." It was an Old Testament book, or I would've loaned her the pocket New Testament I have carried in my purse since I was a freshman in high school. She quickly returned with a New King James. She looked up the passage, then set it on the carrel shelf.
A few minutes later, I needed to confirm a verse in Proverbs for my manuscript. Because I'm writing an historical, I asked Heather to go find me a King James.
When she returned, I sat there looking at those two Bibles. And then it hit me. In a building with upwards of 200,000 books, I had in my hand the only book that mattered. I was reminded of Ecclesiastes 12:12 "And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of the making of books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh."
As a Christian author, I am 'making books', but unless I recognize the place of The Book, and make all my writing reflect the truths found there to the best of my ability, it is a vanity that does no more than add to the 'slush pile' already out there and become a weary burden.

5 comments:

  1. You make a good teacher. Your stories are entertaining without being preachy, especially if a Heathen can remember the lesson (-;

    ReplyDelete
  2. VEry, very nice. :) ANd so true. Do you write devo's too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right!

    PS. Let's see if you can double your word count tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5,000 word days are VERY profitable. If you could do that every day, you'd have a book in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed by the 5000 words. I've not tried the library, but since it's quiet and nothing else to do, it makes sense.
    I have found I'm most creative between 3 and 6 pm, so for my "new" writing, that's what I try to do--in my recliner with Zelda on the side, her little doxy head resting on my leg. I do editing, email, research, and plotting anytime I'm free.
    Nice post, Erica.

    ReplyDelete