Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Only Uni Blog Tour ~ Camy Tang ~ Guest Blog!

MY REVIEW: Today I am thrilled to tell you about a truly wonderful book, ONLY UNI, by Camy Tang. I read the first book in this series, SUSHI FOR ONE, in one night. Stayed up all night to do it, absolutely couldn't put it down. I was looking forward to ONLY UNI, but apprehensive too, not wanting to be disappointed when I loved the first book so much. Well, I wasn't disappointed. On the contrary, the heroine in ONLY UNI, Trish, captured my heart even more than Lex of SUSHI FOR ONE. Trish is quirky, constantly finding herself in situations where her faith is tested, and feeling her way along in her faith, wanting to do it 'right' but not having a clue where to start. ONLY UNI is honest about the trials young women face, the consequences of decisions they make, and about how powerful the love of family and even more, the love of God is. I heartily recommend this book.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Camy Tang is the loud Asian chick who writes loud Asian chick lit. She used to be a biologist, but now she is a staff worker for her church youth group and leads a worship team for Sunday service. She also runs the Story Sensei fiction critique service. On her blog, she gives away Christian novels every Monday and Thursday, and she ponders frivolous things like dumb dogs (namely, hers), coffee-geek husbands (no resemblance to her own...), the writing journey, Asiana, and anything else that comes to mind. Visit her website at http://www.camytang.com/ for a huge website contest going on right now, giving away five boxes of books and 25 copies of her latest release, ONLY UNI.


ABOUT THE BOOK: Flirty biologist Trish Sakai has alienated her best friends and her family because of her wild behavior with her artist ex-boyfriend, Kazuo. Then she finds her father kissing another woman, and her mom suffers a heart attack. Convinced God is punishing her for her sexual promiscuity, Trish comes up with three rules from First and Second Corinthians: 1) Stop looking at guys, 2) Only date Christians, and 3) Persevere in hardship by relying on God. If she follows them, God will restore her life to the way it was before her mistakes. If she can somehow regain her chastity, she won’t feel as dirty and unworthy as she does now. They’re only three rules. How hard can it be?


Handsome Spenser finds himself attracted to his coworker Trish, but his dinner invitation gets slammed down with a lame excuse about Corinthians and rules. That cools his ardor pretty quick. But then Spenser discover that his old enemy Kazuo needs Trish as the “muse” for his unfinished masterpiece painting due in a few months for a gallery show. Kazuo pursues Trish with everything he’s got, but Spenser decides to throw a wrench in Kazuo’s plans by pretending to pursue Trish himself. Trish is going nuts trying to stand firm against two hunky guys. Her three simple rules aren’t so simple anymore . . .


















A Guest Blog From Camy Tang!




Delivering a message without bashing people over the head with it

I have several good friends who are completely on fire for God, and they’re not afraid to tell everybody and their cat about Christ.

I am not like that.

Maybe it’s because as a Japanese American (or at least in my family), I was taught to not be pushy, not speak my mind no matter how aggravated I am, and not bring up any kind of controversial topic of conversation.

As you can imagine, when I became a Christian, evangelism was reeeeeeaallly hard for me.

It still is, although I’ve learned to better hear the Holy Spirit when He nudges me to say something or do something. But my natural inclination is to speak lightly and try to be agreeable.

That has carried over in my writing. While God has very clearly called me to write for Christians, I still haven’t gotten used to a lot of God-speak or frank conversations about Christ. And since I’m not used to it, my characters don’t do it.

Like many of my friends, my relationship with God permeates everything I do, every hour of my day. I may not speak a lot of Christian-ese, but I think it. I try to talk to God continually, if only in my head. I don’t talk about God a lot to other people—even my Christian friends—but He’s in my thoughts.

Because that is how my relationship with God is like, my characters tend to have the same type of relationship with God. Some characters don’t talk about Him a lot, although they think about Him. Some characters think about Him more than others. (Other characters ARE as vocal about their relationship with God as some of my friends, even though I’m not that vocal myself.)

I don’t think a character has to talk about God a lot in order to convey their relationship with Him, and I think that reticence is what resonates with a lot of readers. My characters usually start off with a false idea of who God is, and slowly grow to a better understanding of Him, of His love for us, of His desire to be our everything.

But because my character’s relationship with God tends to be a bit more subtle, the spiritual message doesn’t slam readers over the head. My characters grow through signals here and there about how God is impacting their lives, and the reader follows that growth through those small signals, not through a lot of God-speak and long discussions about Christ.

While in real life, people are often drawn to Christ through those long discussions about Him, in fiction, pacing and story flow take precedence. So in my stories, God guides characters to Himself through other means.

My readers seem to enjoy the flow. And while I don’t expect them to have some massive spiritual epiphany after reading one of my novels, I do hope my books leave people with a stronger understanding of how much God loves them.
ERICA here: Thank you, Camy, for guest blogging and being so transparent. I truly enjoyed the book, and I encourage everyone to check it out.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Erica! I'm so glad you liked Only Uni, too!

    And Happy Birthday!!!!
    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Japanese culture sounds a lot like my culture. Being pushy is a total no-no. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post, Camy and Erica! I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete