Saturday, March 15, 2008

Squeezing in the Prayers

If you are like me, you mean to pray, you plan to pray, and you find yourself falling into bed at the crack of midnight having failed to pray.

I've been thinking of ways to incorporate more prayers into my life.

The other night, as I was getting ready for bed, I noticed the TBR stack on my bedside table. I am a big believer in bookmarks, having been a librarian. I hate to see a book smacked facedown, pages sprawled open, spine all but crying at the strain. I use bookmarks.

And it hit me. I should use prayer cards from missionaries either my church or Peter and I support as my bookmarks. Then, when I open the books, I will see their cards, and remember to pray for them.

Then I thought I could expand this idea. I receive printed bookmarks from author friends with their books listed on the front. I can also remember to pray for these author friends and their ministries when I find them in a book. Also, I can write the names of family members, government officials, church friends, on the backs of these bookmarks. When I open a book, there is the reminder for me to pray.

Anything I can do to nudge my mind to more prayer is a good thing.

How do you remember to pray?




6 comments:

  1. Those are good ideas. I start the day with an hour of prayer even though I sometimes have to scramble to do it.

    I also stick up pictures near doorways and try to condition myself to pray for the people in the pictures as I pass by. That way, if I go in or out of my bedroom door five or six times a day, I end up praying that many times for certain people who need special prayers.

    Sometimes I stick up things on the fridge so I'm reminded to pray each time I open that door. (Nope, we aren't counting THAT number.)

    When I feel that someone in my family needs extra special prayers for a serious situation, I often put out something that belonged to them so I'm reminded of them. For instance, I have a little baby hoodie that belonged to one niece out now. She's stopped going to church so everytime I see that, I stop and say a prayer that she gets her life back on track. Seeing the little baby hoodie makes me remember her as sweet and pure, instead of the angry feelings I'd get about her lifestyle now.

    Now I've got to go find some bookmarks---

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have thought of something so simple. Serves a useful purpose that is meaningful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Erica. My prayers are usually all over the place and all through the day. Since my husband works away so much, we usually pray our last phone call of the evening over the phone. I used to be better at praying long prayers on my knees--especially when he was in Scotland. Funny how as our lives change our prayer habits change. I'm known for my "popcorn prayers" throughout the day & hubby is known for hitting his knees any time of the day or night.
    I love your idea. I think I'm going to make up some special bookmarks using the pics of the kids we sponsor.

    You've already blessed my Sunday. Hope someone blesses yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of prayer cards as bookmarks. Man, I don't have a system, and I think I need one. I'm so random and haphazard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are such great ideas! I'm so glad I stopped in here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete