Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Friday Five - a wee bit early

I'm not sure if anyone even noticed, but I didn't post a Friday Five last week due to the fact that I was out of town. And now I'm posting them a bit early this week because I'll be out of town again tomorrow.


Today we were given the honor of touring my BIL, Len Vetsch's place of business. He is a plastics engineer with Contour Plastics, Inc. of Baldwin, WI.

So, five things I learned today.

1. The smell of hot plastic being forced through molds at 450+ degrees makes me nauseous.

2. There are HEPA filters that cost more than I paid for my first car.

3. That plastic comes from oil and natural gas.

4. That my BIL is working on a totally cool ray gun looking thingy that will glue your skull back in when you have brain surgery.

5. That based upon the few parts I saw, I NEVER want to have my bladder biopsied.

A big thank you to Len, who gives a wonderful tour. The kids had a great time, and once I got off the factory floor, I did too. :) Len even treated us to lunch at the A&W...though I was a complete Philistine and ordered Diet Pepsi. :)

6 comments:

  1. I probably would have kept you company because strong smells are migraine triggers for me. They ray gun sounds wicked cool! Thanks for the fun facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I don't want my bladder biopsied either. I can only imagine what you saw... don't tell me. And I hate the smell of melted plastic. I've smelled it too -- though I can't remember where or how or when. Must have damaged my brain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was way cool. Wish I would have known there was an empty seat.

    And I'm sure I'm not the only one who missed last week's Five.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was that about the bladder again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I cared about the bladder part. The idea of having someone glue a piece of skull back together would have caused me to upchuck.

    Didn't know A & W still existed anywhere! We used to go there when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know A&W still existed either. Thanks for the bladder info. I bet you'll get tons of google hits off that one. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete