Monday, April 21, 2008

A fun weekend


This weekend Heather and I went to Duluth for the Minnesota Homeschool Conference. We went with girlfriends Julie and her daughter Rachel. We shopped for schoolbooks, went to seminars where we learned the steps we need to take in order for Heather to enter college early.
We also got to tour some museums in the Duluth area, research for the books I'm writing right now. We toured Fairlawn, a 1890's lumber baron's mansion, the Depot in Duluth which houses the St. Louis County historical society museum.
On the way home, we stopped at the James J. Hill mansion in St. Paul. Though not known much outside of Minnesota, Hill was a contemporary and business partner of Vanderbilts, Rockefellers, and Morgans. He died at the age of 77 with an estate of 63 million. Take that total times 20 and you'll have a close estimate of what he would be worth today. He has an AMAZING house, 36,000 square feet on four stories. Well worth the tour to get a peek into Victorian/Edwardian architecture.
One thing that happened this weekend that we didn't expect was on Friday night at the hotel. At eleven o'clock pm, the four of us were snuggled up in our jammies sitting on the beds in the hotel room (the room slept 8 people) laughing and sharing stories. We had the hockey game on, but not very loud. A knock at the door...the policeman the hotel hires as a security guard said the neighbors were complaining we were being too loud. I'm still stunned. I didn't think we were being loud at all. We toned it down. Must have been all that Aquafina that made us so crazy!
It's good to be home. I have some new information for the next book in the series I am writing. And I have a couple ideas for the current WIP. I will be getting back into the swing of things now that I'm caught up on the bookwork and housework.
And have I mentioned lately that I have a totally amazing and wonderful husband? He's the BEST! He didn't chide me for the police incident, just hugged me and laughed. What a cutie.

6 comments:

  1. You outlaw! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun getaway. It's always great to combine a research trip with travel plans. Sounds like you had a fun trip. Now, keep the noise down, will ya? I'm trying to write:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one loudmouth to another:

    I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a rebel you are, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess the hotel security saw all those wanted posters, huh???

    Good thing your disguise held up!

    ReplyDelete