Thursday, April 10, 2008

Update on Goals



As you all know, I'm a goal-oriented kind of girl. That's one of the hardest things about this road to publication for me. If there was a guaranteed timeline, where I knew how close I was getting, or how much longer I had to wait, I'd be better at being patient. Just tell me what I need to DO so I can put it on my list, attack it in stages, and get where I want to go. Sigh. Trouble is, there's no road map, no sure-fire way. There is perseverance, there is prayer, and there is persistent, consistent willingness to work and learn. Hard things to check off a list and say, "There, Done!" Instead, these things have to be on the list all the time, and tend to be more of a minute by minute thing. Am I persevering now? Am I praying now? Am I working consistently, willing to learn now? Those who know me well will know how HARD this is for me.
That being said, I need to update my goals.
1. Finish my current WIP. I added another 4K to it today, bringing the word total close to the 75% mark. I'm hoping to finish this first draft by the end of the month.
2. Begin new WIP to pitch at the ACFW conference. This will be a reworking of a novel I started and entered in the Genesis contest but didn't final with. I was targeting a particular publisher with this story, but they have since filled the need for the setting I had chosen, so now I'm free to set it where I would like to. And make it longer.
3. Pull together proposal packets as needed to pitch my work at the conference.
4. Register for conference when registration opens.
5. Forgot to put this higher up...get current WIP critted by Dazzingly Clever Crit Partners and implement their amazingly astute comments into my story.
How about you? Goal oriented? Have some goals you want to own?

10 comments:

  1. What a great post, Erica, and a problem I battle too. I'm a list person. I like to mark off what I've done and move on to the next item so I know exactly what you're talking about. I think this is why I more successful with NF--because I have an assignment and a deadline. Specifics. I think sometimes it's hard for me to take this fiction business seriously when they don't take me seriously. LOL I'm like you--"Tell me what to do! Tell me when you want it!
    And I'll give it to you!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lists. Where would I be without them, but running around in circles like Chicken Little. I have electronic post it notes to remind me when to pay bills, a list of blog topics, and tasks associated with the new class proposal. There's a sense of accomplishment when you are able to cross something off your list. There. Done. Even though something else always comes around to take its place. It's also helpful having the list in case things oft gang aglee. Can see where things need to be shuffled around, and the list helps to keep sanity and order in an insane world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! You inspired me to post on the same thing today. How many books are you writing per year now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm . . . I guess I need to update my goal lists soon. I'm not a list person, but if I have one, I'll work at it doggedly until I can cross everything off of it.

    Most important goal of mine is not being met right now: word count. After a great few days last week, I let it slip off to nothing to a few hundred words a day. Got to get back on that!

    And I love that appellation for our crit group: DCCP (dazzlingly clever crit partners). :-) We should have T-shirts made up to wear at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I vote for T-shirts too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, not to hog your comment box, but DCCP is definitely better than WADS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Erica. Struggling with making my word-count goals. How about zero for this week? However, I have met several of my yearly goals and think that retrospect sometimes gives me encouragement to put the axe to the grindstone.
    I am definitely curious now. What is WADS???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! It's been awhile! We'll have to do some catching up.

    Me...goal oriented? I suppose so. Sometimes I like not having goals, because it means I don't have anything to stress over. Of course, life doesn't work that way. My BIGGEST goal right now is almost achieved, and that's finishing high school...one month left, that's all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Livvie! How on earth are you? Only one more month and you escape HS??? Congratulations! So great to have you drop by the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you've inspired me to start a blog. It's not much right now, but it's a way we can keep in touch with one another. :)

    http://godgavememyownlifewhatwashethinking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete