Thursday, May 29, 2008

Inching Along

The new WIP, Clara and the Cowboy, is coming along nicely. I'm almost a third of the way through the first draft.

I hit a little snag today when I wondered how to up the conflict in the scene I was writing. I knew what I wanted to do, but needed to force myself to really pull these two characters apart. This is hard for me, because I LOVE these people I've created in my head. But, as I've been learning over the past year or so, NO CONFLICT= NO STORY!

Tomorrow I'm heading to the library with whatever kids are cluttering up the house (Those not working at the shop with their father.) and I'm going to write, write, write...the word count goal is 20K. That means a big writing day of 4K words. And being MEAN to my characters.

I always have a better writing day when I 'compost' what I'm going to write the night before. One of the problems with today's writing is I fell asleep so quickly last night I didn't have a chance to really plan out and 'live' what I was supposed to get written. Hopefully tonight will be better. :)

3 comments:

  1. Here's to a relaxing soak in the tub to get you in the mood for composting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atta girl! You sock it to those characters you love, string them up by their toes, and have fun doing it! You have to love a good conflict =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, I do that, too! (That planning as I go to sleep) I never write it down, but the gist of it is there the next day when I write.

    ReplyDelete