Sunday, September 21, 2008

Conference News





I've waited what feels like a long time to post this news on my blog.












This week at the annual ACFW Conference, JoAnne Simmons, of Barbour-Heartsong Presents, offered me a contract for my historical romance, The Bartered Bride.



The scheduled release date is November, 2009. Fourteen months from now. I'm Snoopy dancing still. So many wonderful friends have already congratulated me, and my family is so excited. I can't stop grinning every time I think about it.



In other conference news, here is a list of the results for the 2008 Genesis Contest:


Chick lit, mom lit, lady lit Category:


1st: Erica Vetsch, Pam On Rye

2nd: Lynda Schab, Mind Over Madi

3rd: Tiffany Kinerson, Stand On My Own Two Hands


Contemporary Fiction Category:


1st: Dan Case, The Voice

2nd: Christina Berry, Undiscovered

3rd: Jim Rubart, Book of Days


Contemporary Romance Category:


1st: Annalisa Daughety, Love is a Battlefield

2nd: Kathleen Haynes, The Quarterback Club

3rd: Cara Slaughter, Joanna's Treasure


Historical Fiction category:


1st: Mona Hodgson, A Thimble's Worth

2nd: Rachel Moore, A Trail of Waves

3rd: Lori Benton, Trouble The Water


Historical Romance category:


1st: Patty Smith Hall, Flights of Freedom

2nd: Karen Witemeyer, Cloud by Day

3rd: Erica Vetsch, Marriage Masquerade


Mystery/Suspense/Thriller category:


1st: Jane Thornton, Menace

2nd Donna Alice Patton, Wrestling Demons

3rd: Janice Olson, Don't Look Back


Romantic Suspense category:


1st: Jenness Walker, Deja Vu

2nd: Dani Pettrey, Quest

3rd (tie): Kelly Ann Riley, A Cowboy's Prayer

3rd (tie): Jane Thornton, Be Anxious


Science Fiction/Fantasy/Allegory category:


1st: Chawna Schroeder, Metamorphosis

2nd: Lynda K. Arndt, The Song of Blood and Stone

3rd: Valerie Comer, The Girl Who Cried Squid


Women's Fiction category:

1st: Heather Goodman, 50 Things To Do Before I Turn 30

2nd: Cynthia Ruchti, They Almost Always Come Home

3rd: Kristian Tolle, When Autumn Comes


Young Adult category:


1st: Carla Stewart, An Unexpected Journey Woohoo! Way to go Carla!

2nd: Stefanie Morris, The Dragon of Delarest

3rd: Kasey L. Heinly, Broken Glass
As you can see, it was a wonderful conference, one I will never forget.
I owe thanks to some people that have helped me to come this far:
To Peter, my beloved, who said the sweetest thing to me the other night. He said he knew when I told him four years ago that I wanted to try to become a published author, that it wasn't a matter of IF I could do it, but a matter of WHEN it would happen. He is the most wonderful man on the planet, and far better than I deserve.
To Kaye and Georgiana, thank you for all your encouragement and critiques.
To CJ, for friendship, encouragement, laughter, enthusiasm, and always believing I could do this.
To Heather and James. Heather, I can't imagine doing this without you as my sounding board and brainstorming partner. I don't know what I will do when you go to college...but I bet we have big phone bills. And James, thank you for keeping me smiling, for choking hugs, and a ready humor.
And lastly to my agent, Les Stobbe, for taking a green-as-a-gecko writer under his wing four years ago and sticking with me through too many rejections to count, a few close calls that ended in disappointment, and for being loyal.

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations again, Erica. I'm so thrilled for you. You've been with Les four years! Wow! Most writers move on...and don't stick with the agent. You're both to be commended for hanging in there...together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Erica, I am so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Erica! That's wonderful news.

    And congratulations on the first and third places in the Genesis, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very happy for you! Let's light a candle to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wheeeeeee!!! I'm SOOOOO happy for you!!!!! That was the BEST part of the conference. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thrilled about your many reasons to celebrate, Erica! I have great pictures of you accepting your first place award on Saturday night. I was up close and catching it all! I'll get them to you via email soon!!! Congratulations, my friend!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:10 AM

    I am so happy for you, Erica! You know I always loved reading your stories and I can't wait to read your book! Congrats!!!

    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahoooo! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS, ERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Erica! God is so Good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was definitely YOUR conference! Have you come down from your high yet! So glad to met and get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Erica! I'm so happy for you...all your hard work is paying off! You remained steadfast the call...way to go! And...you look great in your red jacket with the matching red nails. You look great period!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you to everyone! I'm walking around with a stupid grin on my face. But I don't care!

    Still snoopy dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christy K10:42 PM

    I am still in shock over how big your kiddos are...time has just flown by too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! Erica, that is soooo exciting! I can't wait to hold a copy in my hands! :) Congratulations, girl!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Erica, I just saw the video on Georgiana's blog. I had no idea!! Congrats! I can't wait to read the book when it's out.

    ReplyDelete