Friday, October 24, 2008

The Friday Five



Reading the NaNo forums again, I found a thread in the Romance Forum for listing your favorite pet peeves found in romantic fiction. I thought I'd kype the idea for the Friday Five today.
My Five Favorite Romantic Fiction Pet Peeves:
1. "The Misunderstanding". You know the situation where if they hero and heroine would've just talked for two minutes, the whole problem could've been resolved. "I wasn't talking about YOU when I said she was ugly as a mud fence, I was talking about my favorite cow, little lady!"
2. The I Hate You I Hate You I Hate You, wait, we're only six pages from the end of the book I Love You. If you loathed the socks off the guy for 189 pages, I find it hard to believe that without the slightest bit of light dawning in your head, dear heroine, that a bolt from the blue will change all those loathings to love in an instant.
3. That the hero has to be independently wealthy in order to make a good hero. Joe the Plumber would not approve!
4. While I don't like the brainless-poor-me-I-need-a-hero-to-rescue-me heroine, neither do I care for the macho, man-busting female who doesn't need anyone and condescends to allow a male into her life just because he's a hunk. It's okay to admit we need someone else, that we need help, that we might even have a soft side that likes a man to do things for us from time to time. I sure do.
5. In sweet romances, my pet peeve is two people that are so spiritually high-minded that they're no earthly good. They don't seem to think about the physical attraction that should happen between a man and woman in love. They don't seem to suffer from uncertainty or jealousy or wonder if their outfit makes them look fat. This trend is dying out, thankfully, and the characters are becoming more realistic. But when I run across a story like that these days, I tend to put it aside. I can't ever be like those people, and frankly, I don't think anyone can.
How about you? Do you have a romance pet peeve? Any of the ones I have resonate with you?

3 comments:

  1. Not a real follower of the genre, but the misunderstanding cracked me up. I can just hear The Duke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the same as your #1. I learned that if the "conflict" can be resolved with a conversation it's not a conflict. Great Friday Five!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #5 is definitely one of my top pet peeves. I too am glad to see it slowly dying out. There's nothing realistic at all about that scenario. As a woman who is falling in love with the man of her dreams, I am completely aware of everything about him.

    ReplyDelete