Monday, October 06, 2008

The Plot Thickens

The month of October is now devoted to Plotting with a capital P.

In the past, I've not been too much of a detailed plotter, but knowing NaNo is coming and knowing I will be better equipped to type faster if I have a good idea where I'm going, I'm plotting with a vengeance.

So I'm dedicating the month of October to plotting. I've incorporated ideas from The Portable Plotting Board (More info about this on Seekerville), Debra Dixon's Goal, Motivation, Conflict, and a new computer program I came across called yWriter 4. I'm also incorporating some of the ideas from First Draft in 30 Days by Karen Weisner. It's a hodgepodge, but it is working for me.

So far, I feel as if I know my characters better and have a better grasp of the story I want to tell. This might be because this story is the third in a series and I've had the plot in my mind for quite some time, but it might also be because I'm being so deliberate about getting the story laid out and making sure all the parts fit before November 1st.

How about you? Virtual plotter? Outliner, Details, GMC's? Discovery writer? Headlight writer?

6 comments:

  1. I'm a combination and that doesn't always work. :) Thanks for posting about the board - I just ordered one. When I see it, I'll decide whether to selfishly keep it, generously donate it as a door prize at our conference or keep it for our writers' group for brainstorming sessions. :)

    I'm doing NaNo too. Got my idea in my hand. :) If I put it down, I'll lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a combo too. I usually plot the book but allow room for changes. I like the post-its!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is a headlight writer? Do I want to know? I do pre-planning with character sketches, a few turning points and the end in mind (most of this from James Scott Bell's plotting book), but I let the story carry me when I get down to the writing. Good luck with the Nano. You are more ambitious than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Headlight writer...writing like driving a car at night...you can only see ahead as far as the headlights shine, but you can drive the whole distance that way. Some authors only know the plot about a chapter ahead as they write. I'm not sure which great author first coined this term, but it sure is descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Jess, for trying NaNo...we can keep each other company and give encouragement. :)

    And sympathy when appropriate...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the safety net of an outline

    ReplyDelete