Thursday, October 23, 2008

Writing Totems



*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

NaNo is fast approaching, and the NaNo forums are alive and well. I've gotten a kick out of reading the posts of dozens of writers. Writers are a strange breed.

One topic that came up was "Writing Totems," those items one has to have with them in order to feel comfortable while writing. Some things give inspiration, some give comfort, some just put you in that 'other world' place you need to be in to write a lot.

Items included fingerless gloves and sparkly beenie baby kittens. Some needed chai tea or candy corn. Some wore their Viking hat complete with horns, or a ratty old Tigers baseball cap.

My writing totem is my monkey. A gift from a friend three years ago, this little monkey goes with me everywhere when I write away from home. He is on a lanyard that has my jump drive on it. Also on the lanyard is a little crown, a gift from another friend.

How about you? Do you have a writing totem? What item gets your creative juices flowing?

2 comments:

  1. When writing Heath stories, it's helpful to wear my cowboy hat. When whining, I can look at a picture of Auntie Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I can't really count caffeine as a totem....

    MAN, you're making me wish I was doing NANO. I love the spirit of camaradarie (how sp?) for that month. However, I'm smack dab in the middle of a project.

    ReplyDelete