Friday, November 28, 2008

The Friday Five

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*
The picture is of a few units of lumber in one of the warehouses at Vetsch Hardwoods.

Today starts the preliminary inventory for the business, so I thought I'd tell you five things that go into inventory-ing Vetsch Hardwoods:

1. I am the scribe. I write down the species, the supplier and the footages or numbers of sheets. I also transcribe my notes into a spreadsheet so we can cost out the lumber. The entire process takes about 7 hrs from start to finish.

2. My kids are the counters. They count sheets of plywood or layers of lumber and pencil the total on the top of the pile. My husband comes behind and figures the footage and tells me what supplier it came from.

3. My kids climb like monkeys. The lumber is stacked several units high, as well as stored in racks. As a confirmed land-dweller, I get dizzy when I stand on a step-stool, so I try not to look when they shinny up the end of a pile of lumber ten or fifteen feet off the ground.

4. Sometimes it is so cold when we do inventory that the ink in my pen freezes. I keep several pens with me and rotate them from an inner pocket to keep them fluid.

5. We count boards at the end of November, but we get to repeat the experience at the end of December. It's hard to contain my joy....NOT!

How about you? Have you ever taken inventory? We used to do it monthly when I worked at McDonald's in high school. I'm glad we don't have to do a monthly inventory at Vetsch Hardwoods. I'd need a raise!

3 comments:

  1. Inventory--even the word gives me hives! I don't envy you, especially since you have to do it in the cold. When I used to be a mgr at JCP we did inventory annually, and I remember the specific year when I thought, "This WILL BE MY LAST ONE." One time we started at ten in the morning, and finished at five the next morning--then came back to work at noon. See why the word gives me hives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you get the little pricness part of the job. Good for you! I had to be around for inventory at my uncle's steel company. I didn't have to work in the warehouse, but because I ran the computer room, we would have to re-do tickets if someone entered the info incorrectly. An outside auditing co. came one time. The discrepancy from the warehouse to the computer was off by 3 cents. They were on their 10th hour looking and I really wanted to go home. I pulled 3 cents from my pocket. Slapped it on the desk and said "let's call it good." Accountants have no sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't even wrap my brain around the concept of counting boards . . . even on the ground.

    I did inventory once with a church group. A department store hired a bunch of teens to come in and count everything. They paid us for the day and it was actually kind of fun. I counted and folded umpteen sweaters and sweat suits. Then got to count stuff in the baby and toy departments. They even bought our lunch. But the store did have heat.

    ReplyDelete