Monday, November 17, 2008

NaNo 17




Woohoo! cracked 40K words on the ms. Only 10K to go!
Today I've been busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger. School, a little bookwork, working on a devotional for an upcoming baby shower (This Saturday, so I need to get cracking on it) errands, piano lessons for offspring, and whatnot. I'm glad today I only needed to write about 1300 words to hit my goal for the day.
But this past couple of weeks has taught me something. I haven't been busier than usual. My weeks follow a pretty set pattern with only the occasional change, like a dentist/orthodontist appt, or like this week, a funeral at church to help organize and prepare food for. For the most part, my week's rhythm stays the same. And though I'm busy, I can produce fiction if I make myself sit down to do it. I'm averaging better than two thousand words a day this month.
I've also learned that chapter-by-chapter outlines are my friend. I put a lot of work into plotting/prepping/planning this novel so that when it came time to write, I would know what I was doing and the target I was shooting at with each scene. The hardest times of writing this month so far have been when I've veered off this path and wandered too far from the outline. Getting the story back on track has produced a marked increase in words for the day. Yay for this outline.
I never thought I would say that, but it's true. I love having this plan, this story all mapped out. Serendipitous things still happen, strange characters appear or pieces I didn't even know would fit together suddenly lock into place. That is so cool, and when it works, makes me look like a genius. I love it when that happens.

2 comments:

  1. It has really been fun watching your amazing progress these last few weeks. Thanks for sharing the action with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chapter outlines really are the best. There's still room for tons of creativity. Yay for progress!

    ReplyDelete