Saturday, November 22, 2008

Saturday


Today I got to give a devotional at a baby shower. I used the letters that spelled the baby's name: Gabriel. Seven balloons, one for each letter. As I got to that point, I'd give a balloon to the mama. The idea came from a wedding shower I was at, though at that one, the speaker used different colors to represent different blessings and challenges the bridal couple would face.
G=Gift. Children are a gift from God.
A=Awake. God never sleeps, which is a comfort, because mothers of newborns don't either.
B=Brothers and Sisters. Gabriel has two siblings who are big helpers for their mama, and his mother and father have many brothers and sisters in Christ who want to assist them in raising Gabriel to be the man God wants him to be.
R=Red Letter Days. All those firsts for Gabriel. We look forward to the day when he first understands the gospel and his need for salvation.
I=Instruction. There are lots of opportunities for a mother to instruct her child, but no instruction is more important than to bring them up in the nurture and instruction of the Lord.
E=Energy. Little boys have more than their fair share of energy, but when we as mothers wait on the Lord, He will renew our strength.
L=Love. We love our children with a ferocity that can nearly overwhelm us. But the amazing truth is, God loves our children even more than we do. He gave His own Son to save my children. A glorious and humbling truth.
I went to the write in this afternoon and produced nothing but dust. The story is a little off track. I've printed the ms out and will read it, making pencil edits and getting it back into the shape I want it to be before setting it aside to work on editor revisions for another ms.

2 comments:

  1. A lovely sentiment to use the baby's name for the devotional. God never sleeps and neither do mother's of newborns. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica, what an awesome idea for the devotional. Love the A :D

    ReplyDelete