Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie Recipe


A few times a year (very few) my kitchen resembles the Betty Crocker Proving Grounds. Today is one of those days. Just a few minutes ago, I slid a couple of pumpkin pies into the oven to bake. It's beginning to smell a lot like the holidays around here.
As a diabetic, I've been wondering how the holidays will affect my blood sugar. I've been doing well, no spikes or any numbers over 120, and that's at half the medication (which I forget to take far to often.) But it seems that everything 'holiday food' is loaded with carbs.
So I was very thankful when dear friend Margrethe Higgins gave me her recipe for sugar-free pumpkin pie. I tasted her wonderful pie at a church dinner recently, and boy howdy, you can't tell it from the recipe on the back of the Libby's can. It's delish! So I thought I'd share it here for you. Even if you're not diabetic, it won't hurt to watch the carbs a bit.
Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie
1 9 inch pie crust pastry
1 can (16 oz) pumpkin
1 can (12 oz) evaporated skim milk (I bought Carnation fat free evap. milk - easy to find)
3 eggs
3/4 cup Splenda (I used a little less at Margrethe's suggestion)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
Beat all ingredients together and pour into fluted pie crust. Bake at 450 for 15 mins, then lower oven temp to 350 and bake until knife inserted near center comes out clean (about 40 mins).
Dietary Exchange:
1 milk, 1/2 starch, 1 fat.
And as I said, it tastes delicious. Just like the real thing.
Have a happy and Splend-id (get it?) holiday.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge pumpkin pie fan, but that does sound good. I've had problems baking with Splenda so I'll just have to come over for a slice to judge for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore pumpkin pie. I'll have to file this away for later. I'm not allowed to make anything besides mashed potatoes for Mom's Thanksgiving. Oh, but this year I do get to bring green bean casserole if hubby brings home the French's onion things.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ, try using the Splenda Baking Blend. My mom is diabetic too and we use the Baking Blend all the time. The first time I made a pumpkin pie with plain ole Splenda it was nasty! But with the Baking Blend you can't tell the difference.

    I've even made cookies and cakes with the Baking Blend and you can't tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete