Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Apologies to Paul and John Wayne.

The good stuff I meant to do I did not. The puttering around I did not intend to do, well, that's what I did.

Today marked day one of my eldest child's driver's education class. Three hours on Monday and Wednesday afternoons for the next five weeks.


Okay, I admit it, I worried a little. She is homeschooled. Her class size is one. The local high school where she is taking the classes has a couple thousand students. I wondered how she'd get on, could we even find the right room, would she do well, would she make some new friends. I wanted her to make some friends, enjoy her time, learn a lot...no pressure there!

We found the room (thanks to a very nice young man who turned out to be one of the FIVE students in the class--yes, only five students taking the class, guess no one wants to learn to drive in the teeth of a Minnesota winter.) and met her instructor, signed the contracts, and I left to find a coffee shop so I could work on novel edits--using profitably the time I had to wait.

I found one not too far from the high school, but to my dismay, they closed at five o'clock. What coffee shop closes at 5? Rather than drive around to find another place, I went in and set up shop, drank some tea and checked my email. Since I'd been at the clinic all day with my MIL, I hadn't checked email since the night before. Plenty had piled up waiting to be read. I also wanted to check the blogs I read.

Before I knew it, an hour and a half had gone by and the shop was closing. I packed up and went across the parkinglot to browse the local discount store. I found a Charles Wysocki puzzle, so it wasn't time wasted. :)

At the end of the day, the driver's ed class went well, most of my worries were unfounded (as they usually turn out to be) and I had done NO editing on my novel. Sigh. I meant to edit.

Meant to don't get it done, Dude.

4 comments:

  1. Like your twist on Paul's words. :)

    In the summer the one and only coffee shop in town, the only one within twenty-five minutes of my house, closes at 2 pm.

    Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worrying is what moms do best. Sounds like you did a splendid job. Coffee shop that closes at 5p? No Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts around? No Barnes and Noble? Like I've always said MN: Land of Here There Be Dragons. (-;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally! TWO? It closes at TWO? It better open mighty early!

    Our library closes at 1:30 on Saturdays during the summer...like people have other things they'd like to be doing, other places to be than in the library working on their novels on a Summer Saturday Afternoon! Oh, the humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So have your plans changed for next time? Glad to hear it went well for your daughter =)

    ReplyDelete