Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Debut Author!



Can I just say how excited I am about a new book coming out this summer? Me, Just Different, by my friend Stephanie Morrill...It's such a joyous occasion!


Stephanie and I met in 2005 (can it have been that long ago?) at the Florida Christian Writer's Conference. We clicked right away, sharing a love of fiction, and a bond from both having lived in Kansas City for awhile.


Stephanie just unveiled her new website at http://www.stephaniemorrillbooks.com/ and I invite you to trot on over and take a look.


I especially like her FAQ and the honesty of her biography. I have the same problem when someone asks "What is your book about?"



Welcome to the world of Skylar Hoyt, a high school senior whose exotic Hawaiian looks have propelled her to the height of the “in” crowd, but who’s no longer sure that’s where she really fits. New friends, old friends, a reluctant romance, and a family crisis swirl around Skylar as she tries to keep it together and figure out who she really wants to be.

In Stephanie’s Words
To me, Me, Just Different is about the crumbling world of a girl who thought herself untouchable and discovers she doesn’t really know herself at all. Even though our lives might look very different from Skylar’s, I think we’ve all experienced situations that have tried us and led us to discover we aren’t everything we thought we were.

The facet of Skylar’s story I’m particularly attached to is her friendship with Jodi. The idea came from a friendship of mine in middle and high school. Anytime my friend and I liked a guy, he usually wound up liking both of us back. It was a very strange phenomenon that happened four and a half times (one guy we both liked, but he only liked her). One time in eighth grade it very nearly destroyed our friendship, and I remember how even in the midst of the craziness, I felt very disappointed in myself. I wanted—much like Skylar does—to be stronger than I was and to not care what everyone thought.

This book is also very special to me because it’s the first one I wrote after my husband and I got married. We lived in the neighborhood next to Skylar’s and spent a lot of time at Sheridan’s talking about who Skylar and Connor were. A lot of thoughts from those conversations made it into the book. And so did the ice cream.
Erica here: I've read Stephanie's work, and I can truly say she has a unique, sensitive voice well able to tackle the tough subjects that hit kids today. Her work is relavent, centered, and entertaining. I can't wait for my own 16 year old daughter to read Me, Just Different.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to read this book, and my daughter is too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Stephanie on her first book and snazzy website. And fun for you, Erica, to introduce a debut author on your blog. Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete