Monday, January 26, 2009

A HA!


A ha!
Last week I worked on editing the third novel in the Kennebrae Bride series, and for the life of me I couldn't seem to get all the way through it. I made it to within FIVE pages of the end and then sat there.
Something was wrong with the story ending. But what? Guy gets girl. Happily Ever After. Mission Accomplished, right?
Um...nope.
I realized that the ending, while standard, wasn't satisfying. And that's what I want to give my readers most of all. A satisfying ending...the kind that makes you say "Yes!" or "Aw!" or whatever you say when you get to the end of a really good story.
So, today, while my girl is in driver's ed, I will be at a coffee shop (one that won't close in the middle of my writing session --see blog post below) rewriting the ending to be more satisfying.
I'm up against the word count (AGAIN!) but I'm going to write it the way it should be, then go back through the manuscript (AGAIN!) and cull more words so it all fits together.
How about you? Have you had any A HA! moments? Have you rewritten an ending to be more satisfying to the reader? Do you have plans to be creative this week?

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a light bulb moment...and that you found a coffee shop that stays open in the afternoon! Write baby, write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write, write, write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. The ending is even more important than the beginning if you are to gain readership. It's well worth the time to make it resonate with truth and emotion. Interesting that you were able to discover this and felt the "nudge" to revisit your ending. Love it!

    ReplyDelete